Council Tax Attachmjent of Earnings

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4752 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry for the long introduction but here goes.

Basically I moved into a property with 2 girls that i work with and we all signed the tenancy agreement.

One of the girls didnt end up living with us as she decided on the day we signed it that she wasnt happy with the rom she was to be given.

So it was just left as me and the other girl.

On the 19th March 2010 and the 20th April 2010 I paid installments of £87 both times and have receipts of both payments but are starting to fade as they are getting old.

The other girl had not paid a single penny at this point.

Nearing the end of April my friend stayed with us for a few weeks and she basically saved me from a situation that would've cost me alot of money.

We then moved into another rent accomodation on the 7th May 2010 as all the other tennants

and myself all signed an eviction notice a week earlier as I was not prepared to live there anymore

as I was the only one paying the rent - meaning we moved out of the property on the 8th May 2010.

The letting agency chased us for the money some time in November with debt collectors regarding the rent situation which is now solved.

However now a council tax issue has arose where myself and the other girl are liable for £347.35.

She went to court on the 29th November 2010 which I found out 2 hours before she was due as I had not been sent a court summons through the post.

She told me over facebook that we were to pay £25 installment to the council tax offices and they were going to send a letter to her address as they did not have mine.

As of yet I still have recieved no such letter and since the court date a payment of £40 has been made in February 2011 - not myself which could only leave the other girl.

Today which is the 25th March i recived my payslip and an attchment of earning had been made to my wages and i was none the wiser.

I panicked as I thought it was tax for my new address but it was for a previous address.

So therefore I rung up the relevant council tax offices and they told me that there was a note next to my name stating that i was the only one with a attachment of earnings.

However I have been looking up some other threads and some have said that the informationm where I work would have to be provided in court

(for which i was not summoned or present for or even on the register for who was meant to be in court that day).

We still work together so she would've been able to provide that information.

Also when i spoke to them on the phone they were not able to give me much information

but I mentionned to them that her mother works there as I want then to speak to her to see if she could reason with her daughter to start paying up. I

t would not surprise me now if her mother attempted to persuade one of her colleagues on her daughters behalf

if I was the only one left now to be paying the sum of money.

I dont know if that is true and may never know.

Thats just the type of person the girl is and would do something like that.

On another note She still owes me a sum of £350 from rent costs and a holding fee

which i have a reciept for but am not sure if that bank has records back dated from February 2010.

I also have a transcript from BBM conversations regarding the money she owes me as i dont have it in writting that she owes me thta sum of money.

In the conversations i question her about the money and she does she will give it back to me a few times but to no avail.

she does not actually write she owes me it but does agree that she will pay.

So im guessing all is left now are the questions:

I know they are legally allowed to secure and attachment of earnings to a person but as I was not present in court is that still legal?

They still say it is joint liability but as a council tax representative is there no way that her mother could enforce some payments from her daughter?

I also did not recived any notification of an attachement of earning until I noticed a decuction from my wages, is that legal?

Although I have almost written off the other sum of £350 - this council tax was the tip of the iceberg s

o would the infromation that I have help me to regain the money that I am owed as i have no exact written documnetaion signed by her?

Do you have an indication as of how much you have to earn to not have an attachment of earnings?

If I do end up paying the whole sum is there any way legally i could possible reclaim the money back from the other girl?

I am also willing to pay another half payment of what each aditionnal month cost which was around £140ish

but not a penny more is there anyway that they would agree if this payment was made and they they hassle the other girl for the remaining sum?

Again i apologise for the length of this note as i wanted to post all the information i had and i await for you replies.

how about a few blank lines and sentences

you'll get alot more readers rather than one large block

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

As dx says above it is difficult to read but there are a few things that you can help with and for this you will need to contact the Council.

1 - how many Liability Orders do the Council have against you - I ask in the plural as according to dates this spans 2 different years

2 - how much is each one for

3 - how much is outstanding on each one

4 - what period of time does each one cover

5 - when were the Orders granted

6 - what addresses do the Orders cover

Next you need to establish the dates of when you lived where, also did you advise the Council of when you moved in and out? Does your Tenancy Agreement state if you are responsible for CT or was it included with your rent? How many people lived at these properties?

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]