Impending Council Tax Liability order - help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4785 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello.

Have just received court summons for CTax LO for an old bill of £360 (including £30 costs).

Since January we have been attempting to move home via a 3 way Council House Mutual Exchange.

All checks on our property and 1 of the other 2 parties have been completed and confirmed as "no issues". The 3rd participant however is not so lucky as their council are dragging their feet over gas/electricity certificates - checks have been done over 3 weeks ago, but they claim to have a "backlog" and haven't got to it yet??????

Anyway, my question is this.....

Apart from the annoying holdups, described above, should we be concerned that this CTax LO Court Summons will prevent us from being able to complete our move?

All rent is up to date (infront actually) and all this years council tax is paid apart from £69 which is as per agreed installment plan - due to finish 25 March.

Thankyou for any advice offered

Kind Regards

don't know, it would really depend on your local council's criteria for permitting mutual exchanges

all councils that i have ever dealt with will refuse mutual exchanges if a tenant has rent arrears, am not sure whether any refuse over council tax arrears/LOs

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Thanks for replying ..

I do know that there are "only" 10 LEGAL reasons why it can be refused .... and CTax does not come into the list .... what confuses me is the "any other monies owed to the Council".

I am hoping that this will not prevent the move, and that the CTax debt will simply follow us .....

From my understanding, it would be a court order attached to the property (repossession order etc.) that would give us the issue...am I correct in thinking that the LO would be attached to the person and NOT to the property, unless they had to go down the road of further recovery action?

the LO is against the liable persons

there may be instances where a council may go further and register a charge against a property (however this would only apply if you owned the property)

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

don't know, it would really depend on your local council's criteria for permitting mutual exchanges

all councils that i have ever dealt with will refuse mutual exchanges if a tenant has rent arrears, am not sure whether any refuse over council tax arrears/LOs

Is there anyone can give more info on this please?