Councils chasing Poll Tax debts nearly 20 years later!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4783 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It seems that this issue is rearing it's ugly head again.

"Dave" - "We are all in it together", our unelected leader maybe giving directives for Councils to collect the Poll Tax that was ultimately Maggies downfall.

Liverpool City Councill are chasing Poll Tax debts in a bid to balance their books. (Yes I know Liverpool Council are Labour).

Liverpool City Council have today told the BBC Radio Merseyide that they can persue unpaid Poll Tax bills because they obtained liabity orders on them all. If you believe that they didn't then you must provide proof that you paid your poll tax. Who has bank statements or receipts from 20 odd years ago?

I was dumbstruck listening to the radio programme that the Council are doing this, but I wonder if it is at all legal?

Obviously a valid County County Court Judgment is enforcable, but a Magistrates Liability Order that the Council has made no attempt to enforce for donkeys years?

It doesn't seem right to me.

Anyway I wonder how long before all councils see this as a potential revenue generator and send demands for alleged unpaid poll tax to millions of people. How many people would just pay up?

Here's the BBC iplayer linky for the radio broadcast......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p00f8q7c

1.01.50 into the programme.

HJS