Council Tax Issues - Trying to pay arrears but told no have to be taken to court!!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4714 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I contacted my local council today to sort out my outstanding council tax (which to be honest hasnt been paid!) I was trying to set up a dd and arrange to pay the outstanding balance in installments. I was told that this is not possible at the end of a council tax year as we are due a new bill and my only option is to pay in full - not an option! or to wait until they take me to court to set up an arrangement.

I find this horrendous, I am the first to admit it is my fault it has not been paid but to actually refuse me a payment arrangement without a court order (and the chance to add on charges for the privalege) seems completely unfair. Has anyone else had similar experience and how did you go about sorting it out?

They do need to have a liability order before they can make an official arrangement but there is nothing stopping you from starting to pay it now before the LO is issued. If it's not paid off by the date they've asked then a LO will still be issued but the amount you owe will be less.

use the details on the back of the bill and pay by internet banking

they cannotrefuse it that way

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It is Swindon Borough Council so not far from Bristol. I do intend to make payments to get the debt down before it goes that far. But still find it horrifying that people who are willing to make up their payments are in effect being penalised. Ok I know I should have paid before now, but do want to sort this out and it really annoys me!

dx has a point about paying directly. I've been paying mine weekly since late last year by internet banking. (My arrears were created in November last year by a recalculation - and overpayment of CTB across a period of 18 months totalling around £240). My arrears are now £90 - but they still insist on me paying it by the end of the Financial Year or have a liability order! If you phone them - they can put your account "on hold" for a month, but after this they continue the recovery process even if you are paying regularly. Having said that - if you are paying and continue to pay regularly - even if they get the LO, you should be OK as long as you keep up the payments until it's cleared. In my personal experience - they only get really pedantic and heavy when they get nothing at all!

Its those added court costs that really wind me up! They make a fortune every year out of the tax payer and for what!!!! The added charges are just IMHO another [problem] to make more money out of us!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently in the same boat and at a loss. £350 is currently owed plus a very generous and much welcomed £30 charge for the court summons which has to be paid in full by March 29th

I cannot pay them this month as had huge utility bills so called them to explain I'm happy to have it rolled over to the next council tax year but this wasn't an option in their eyes and would be for the courts to decide

Where do I stand and what are my options?

• 1 month later...

:whoo:Quite a shock when I got home yesterday!!!! Not only had my local council refused to add on my arrears to this years charge, they also forgot to set up my DD for this year!!!! Needless to say I was livid, and I called the helpline (as much help as a wet paperbag!!!) and the fool who answered the phone hung up on me. A few complaint letters later, I have now been told I can indeed add last years charges onto this year and my DD has now been set up accordingly.

So anyone wondering if you can do this the simple answer is YES!!! I did write to my local MP's, the Head of Revenues and the Complaints Dept at my local council, but the result was worth it.

Now only the issue with the bailiff for a magistrates fine to sort out!

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same problem with Nuneaton & Bedworth Council. I owe them £50 (initialy it was £136 (my fault) reduced this down to £50 and have now been sent a nice letter saying that I am being taken to court and Liability Order will be issued for £70. By the time they issue the LO the debt of £50 will have been paid. Absolute scandal