SAR to council, 40 days or 40 working days?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4782 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As I've been searching for the answer I've discovered quite a few councils that think it's 40 working days and are quite happy to say so on their websites which is why I asked the question. The one I'm dealing with doesn't specify and we have 5 days to go yet so we'll need to wait and see if they comply.

Many thanks. Although this particular one has yet to go over the time limit the initial reply definitely gives a date for compliance which is based on working days. Ironic really - if some council officers didn't feel they could make up rules as it suits them there wouldn't be a need for this SAR in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...

late response, but just joined

for dpa requests it is 40 days, they may be getting confused with foi requests which are 20 working days

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

This particular council seem to be making it up as they go along. The initial request was dated and sent on 19th Jan, proof of posting obtained. They acknowledged receipt of the initial request (complete with payment) in a letter dated 24th Jan. They did not ask for any proof of identity but did ask the 'exactly what data do you want' question to which the reply was 'all as initially requested'. This was sent by email at 13.53 on 27th Jan (not 28th as the council claim). They then separately acknowledged receipt of payment on 1st Feb even though it had been included with the initial request and gave a date of 24th March as the date they were working to ?????? A hastener sent by email yesterday with a gentle reminder that the 40 days was over by any and all calculations resulted in the following reply -

I confirm that we are currently dealing with your Subject Access Request and have almost completed the collation of information. However, I am afraid that our Freedom of Information Officer has been on sick leave for a few weeks and has only returned to the office this week and this has resulted in a backlog of work.

We hope to be in a position to send the information to you by 24 March, the date quoted in my letter.

It seems there may be confusion regarding the due date for compliance with your request, as I commenced the timescale from the date on which I received your email clarifying the request (ie. from 28 January) rather than from 19 January as you expected.

It appears this council believes it can choose the start and finish dates to suit and use staff absence as a valid reason for not complying. We replied asking how they were calculating 40 days but have yet to recieve a reply.