Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

BAILIFFS - The Law and Your Rights

Written by John Kruse, one of the leading experts on Bailiff Law, this consumer friendly guide is essential reading for anyone who comes into contact with a bailiff.

The book is easy to understand and clearly explains the rights a bailiff has, and also what they cannot do when collecting debts and repossessing goods etc.

£13.95 + £2.00 (P&P)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Basic Account Holder daisymouse1975 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

Cool I part ex'chg my car to a dealer, he is saying it blew up on way home. What are his/my rights? *** Claim struck out ***

I had arrange via the internet to part exchange my car for a better one, the day before the exchange happened I had problems with my car, I spent 1000.00 to get it going, it also needed a new turbo, I phoned the dealer and explained the situation in full. He said he was happy to go ahead with the deal and take car needing a turbo as long as I covered costs.He called his garage they said 750 for new turbo so I gave him a credit card payment for the 750. The exchange went ahead the next day, 4hours later I received a phone callicon saying the engine had seized/blown up, I checked with my garage who done the work and said this isn't my fault and no one could pre see this happening. The dealer keeps phoning me saying he cant afford to fix car, do I have to pay him for the repairs?

Site Team rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative

Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I part ex'chg my car to a dealer, he is saying it blew up on way home. What are his/my rights?

Hi daisy

Welcome to CAGicon
    The guys will advise as soon as they are available.

Heres some info:-

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/aft...r-rights/cars/

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/aft...nowyourrights/

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2008
    I am in
    camborne

Default Re: I part ex'chg my car to a dealer, he is saying it blew up on way home. What are his/my rights?

he has no comeback on you, he is a dealer and was fully aware of the facts when the deal was made. I am sure the deal that was made allowed him a some profit on any resale, so thats his gamble, if he has a little or lot of work to do before he can re-sell.
    I pressume you have all the paperwork, receipts etc.
    The problem might be later if something goes wrong with the car you took of him; he may not be very forthcoming in helping you.
    He may threaten to take you to court, but if paperwork in order, dont worry about it.

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

Thank You for your help.
    The dealer called yesterday and said the engine has not seized as it was turning over, said he will now be stripping down engine and looking for fault and that he would contact me later in week to talk about damage. Feeling very stressed at this whole situation.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2008
    I am in
    camborne

dont worry its not your problem; certainly dont consider giving them any money.

Basic Account Holder Pogo_Stix Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2009

Yes, thats their problem

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

Heard from dealer today he wants 2700, what he is now claiming he is out of pocket with this desk.
    I said no, he said I'm in breach of his terms and conditions and I will be hearing from his solitors :/ so I'm now on tender hooks waiting

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Mar 2008
    I am in
    camborne

What are his terms and conditions?
    please post if you have them and did you sign anything that had any reference to these?
    I think you may waiting a long time to hear anything; bluff!
    it will cost him more in solicitors fees than the money he claims he is out of pocket.

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

Term1.jpgterm2.jpgThis is all the paperwork we have, sorry not a very clear scan! We/I havent signed anything, this was emailed to us. Thanks for all your help

Basic Account Holder Boro Novitiate

Cagger since
    Aug 2007
    I am in
    Pasty land

Too small to read im afraid can you repost full size, did you have these terms supplied before or after the deal was agreed?

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

That is real size!
    These terms were sent before the deal was agreed

Basic Account Holder afcwben Novitiate afcwben's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jul 2010

feom the OP's statement I am willing to bet these were supplied after the deal and as they claim not to have signed anything then I should imagine it is worthless. The dealer has the problem

Basic Account Holder nmonline Novitiate

Cagger since
    Oct 2010

He took it knowing it needed a turbo and drove it? Also had payment from the OP to cover the work, and that was 750 for a turbo? He's either a [problem]mer or an idiot!

Basic Account Holder ihateyes Informative ihateyes Informative ihateyes Informative

Cagger since
    May 2007
    I am in
    at home!

Tough cheese on him i think.
    With most dealers once you drive off thier premises, its tough if anything goes wrong.
    I would ignoreicon all letters, and if he keeps calling, id advise him to go take a walk and be quiet or he will hear from my solicitor on grounds of harassment.

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

Received a letter today, ha said he is cancelling our contract and I have 7 days to return the car to him at my cost and arrange to collect my old car( also at my cost) or send him 4000.00 with 7 days! If I do not do either he will be taking me to a claims court, at my expense to recover his loses on the deal :@

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

Losses even!

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

What sort of solicitor do I need to fight him? Any recommend ?

Basic Account Holder Boro Novitiate

Cagger since
    Aug 2007
    I am in
    Pasty land

You dont need a solicitor you will get the help you need here, will alert the mods for you

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    steven4064 Authoritative steven4064 Authoritative steven4064 Authoritative steven4064 Authoritative steven4064 Authoritative steven4064 Authoritative steven4064 Authoritative steven4064 Authoritative steven4064 Authoritative steven4064 Authoritative steven4064 Authoritative steven4064's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    Lancashire

I am not an expert on this particular field but I think the siruation is quite clear - he bough the car off you having been made aware of the problems and agreeing a price to fix it. It is now his problem. If this was all doen on the internet, do you have e-mails proving this train of events?

If so, put them on one side so they don't get deleted and print off copies to keep with any other paperwork.

If you don't have any e-mails, things could be a little more difficult but I still think you have a case as a court judges on the balance of probabilties - he is the dealer and should know what he is buying, especially as you told him the problem. The bill he is trying to get you to pay is evidence that you are telling the truth.

I don't think you should return the car to him or pay him any more money. If he is stupid enough to actually take you to court, he will lose.

raydetinu is completely right IMO

If the terms really are that small I would say they are illegible and therefore unair!

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    sailor sam Authoritative sailor sam Authoritative sailor sam Authoritative sailor sam Authoritative sailor sam Authoritative sailor sam Authoritative sailor sam Authoritative sailor sam Authoritative sailor sam Authoritative sailor sam Authoritative sailor sam's Avatar

Cagger since
    Aug 2009

Do the t & c's mention anything about the trade-in vehicle condition? In any event, i'm not sure that their t & c's necessarily have any legal status. Generally buying privately is a 'buyer beware' scenario and unless you ave blatantly made false statements about the condition of the car then the buyer has no come back. The dealer was made aware of the tubo issues so IMHO, you have fulfilled your obligations to him. However, to be sure, I would either consult trading standards for advice or sorce an appropiate solicitor who will perhaps give a free initial consultation.
    Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE