style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4650 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been living at a friends house for the last three years where she has been claiming single persons allowance. I now have to move out and have to declare where i have lived for the last three years. I am willing to pay the money owed for that time (25%) but wondered if there will be any fines or court proceedings against her?

They could in theory prosecute her for falsely claiming a discount but its unusual for councils to do so. (if she claimed council tax benefit then they may take action regarding that).

If the discount is withdrawn then the council will issue an amended Demand Notice . If this is not paid then a reminder must first be issued before a court summons can be.

Councils can then charge costs for the issuing of the summons and the subsequent liability order.

Thanks for the advice. When i move and fill in the form for council tax if they ask for my previous address is there anything i can put down that they will not follow up on ie no fixed abode or homeless, or will i just have to be honest and pay the money owed at the previous address?

• 4 months later...

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.