• Tweets

• Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

How long can a landlord leave me without hot water and heating?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4777 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

How long can my landlord leave me without hot water or heating?

It only went off last night but no-one can come in to have a look until tomorrow or sat.

I have no other means of heating as the fire doesnt work.

Any help would be appreciated.

The landlord has probably got an odd job guy that does work for him, but this is an emergency so it's not the cost that matters, but that you get heating/hot water especially as you've got a Chronic condition. I ring him up and tell him it's not good enough.

Thanks. I am not well and are under the hospital with COPD (Chronic obstructary Pulmanary Disease) does that make any difference?

'Emergency' repairs can take 3 days, but unless you are an infant, elderly or otherwise 'vulnerable' the current weather/temp is not an emergency IMO so I would hope LL could find qual engineer to assess/repair the problem in 2-3 days. If special parts meed to be ordered repair may not be completed for 2-3 weeks.

In the meantime I assume you have a kettle and stove to boil water for washing etc and you can buy a new basic fan heater for £10-20 at Argos etc

Rebel11, the heating only went off last night acc to OP so this is not yet an emergency, even with COPD. If it is gas c/h the LL should use a Gas Safe Regd engineer, not an 'odd job' man.

The OP has hot water alternatives, I presume, and could provide some basic room heat at little cost.

If the OP was a house owner, resp for repair, s/he would have to make temp arrangements and she could use anyone to fix the prob, LL cannot.

Edited by mariner51

Thank you for the leaflet, Rebel.

I do not mean to be insensitive to the OP, I also suffer from a chronic condition listed in the leaflet, which is aimed at healthcare professionals, carers and relatives/sufferers. I assume the LL is none of these and may not even know of the OPs condition.

I also read with interest, the page on 'Preparations for a cold snap'

The thread title was How long can a landlord leave me without hot water and heating? and my basic reply addressed LLs resp for any T, inc 'vulnerable' ones. Generally, Council EH dept will allow up to 3 days for a critcal repair and the LL has had less than 24 hrs evem if OP tel him last night.

Ok, LL never had anyone to do repairs and told me he doesnt have any one he uses.

Told me to get someone in I know. which I did but they wouldnt bill LL direct instead I have had to pay them send LL bill for him to then send me money and not having alot of money needed to take out of my rent payment which is due next week, where do I stand on this? It was quite a big chunk, but it is all working fine now.

Please not: The person I got in is fully qualified. Note; Part was more than anything else.

I will be paying the rent it just wont be the full amount and the shortfall will be paid in 4 days after. So full rent will be paid. I am not withholding rent or not paying, just wont be full amount at the beginning then the rest in 4 days so full amount will be paid.

Forgot to mention been in this position before but the repairs was small amount so could cover them and LL sent me money once he had received bill.

I know once he has received bill he will reimberse monies which will be after the 4 days that I will pay the rest of the money.

So any amount owing on the rent would be paid on the 4th day after it was due. The main bulk of it being paid when due. well 3/4 actually!

Does that make a difference?

Right, I have checked my paperwork and I have been without proper heating and water since 28/1/11.

Landlord knows the problem but said he will sort it, but I need to know how long he has. The gas man has spoken to him and explained what needs to b done before it breaks down altogether. I can only use one room at the moment together with the bedroom..

Where do I go from here?

What did the gas man tell you and what was his cost estimate and date he can undertake the repair?

How does the LL 'intend to sort it out'

Heating has not broken down completely acc to your last post, so for the moment it is a non-urgent repair. Give the LL 1 month to repair and negotiate.

If he had got it done in first pplace properly 3 years ago then there would not have been a problem. Boiler 3 years old. Put in boiler that also should have been a combi and adjusted pipework, They just put in boiler and left pipework as it is.

I didnt know he could apply for a grant and I dont think he does either, any more info on this?

Is this now classed as an emergency!

Because I think it is.

Because they didnt adjust pipework for new boiler it has mucked up pipes so that they need replacing together with the boiler, if it doesnt get changed then everybit of pipework including rad ones need to be done, which means more money than replacing boiler and pipework.

Something else my gas man found was that when they put in something by tank in bathroom they must have had a leak and put alot of putty stuff on it and newspaper underthat. So job not done properly in first place.

This person who installed cannot be contacted on phone number we have, Is it possible to check if his corgi reg was legal? I hav his number remember this was in 2007?

Quick reply now due to hour, but what have you been doing for heating and hot water these past few weeks?

You initially said the problem started 17 Feb 2011, but subsequently stated "I have been without proper heating and water since 28/1/11."

It's pretty much 4 weeks now that you've had this problem (is this right?) and you seem no closer to it being resolved. You may well be able to negotiate a reduction in rent for this period too (depending on circumstances, but no guarantee) but the priority has to be to get the problem sorted

Personally, I'd be seeking a firm undertaking from the Landlord as to his intentions now, as to when he expects to start and complete the work. If you have an email address do it this way, so as to more easily document what's happening. If you get no satisfaction I'd be on to the Environmental Health Department at your Local Authority pdq - I'd be tempted to do this anyway, as it may be a few days before they can get to see you

The downside is that you arel likely to have an AST (Assured Shorthold tenancy) if so you do not have any great security after the initial term has expired, so keep your dealings with the landlord polite, reasonable - but by all means firm

All that aside I doubt that the Landlord would accept this state of affairs in his own home, not after this time, why should you?

(Are you in England and Wales and is your deposit, if paid, protected? Please post here if uncertain as others will be along soon enough too I'm sure)

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)

I have been using kettles and an electrician fiixed the electric fire so that is what I have been doing/using. Which is putting up my electric bill.

I rented my property in Jan 2006. So dont know if deposit is protected or not.

With regards deposit protection the key date was the 6 April 2007

Have a read through http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/paying_for_a_home/tenancy_deposits?gclid=CKDc6vOEn6cCFQwf4QodigpBYg and also through the stickies on CAG too (main page of this part of the forums)

Has anything changed since you moved in in 2006 ie new rent, new agreement, that sort of thing. If so, tenancy deposit protection should then apply (subject to certain conditions) Post again to let us all know

Back to main problem in hand though, if OK

It'll be, I think, 4 weeks this Friday since you've been without proper supplies of hot water and so on - what IS your landlord doing about this?

(I'm out for a few hours now, but someone will be along soon enough I'm sure - plus this will serve as a bump too)

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)

Everything has stayed the same.

He just says get the gas man in which I keep doing and the gas man has told what the problem is.

He said can i get a quote from British gas for work which i cant do as he has to ask them so they say.

Then who knows. BG come in do quote then etc., etc., could be another couple of months.

So I would say not alot he is doing.

In the meantime my electric fire is on continuously from when I get up to when I go to bed which is getting earlier to try and keep warm.

Sorry, lost internet connection, so quick post now before it should disappear again

What, if anything, has been put in writing to the Landlord? Do you have an email address for him? If not, a correspondence address will do

It does not sound like very much is going to happen though, without you first upping the ante. If you do you have to consider that the Landlord may (later) seek possession etc, but for now - and apologies for saying so - it does not seem that you can continue as you are...

Personally, I'd be on the 'phone to Environmental Health first thing Monday, if you haven't already. Alternatively, you may wish to, first, write a very firm, but polite email to your Landlord, asking him to confirm his intentions - and timescales for resolving these issues

I'm typing at speed, just in case I lose my connection again, but the proper supply of hot water and heating is your Landlord's responsibility (Section 11 etc) and the fact you now say there is no Gas Safety Certificate for 4 years means the Landlord is either unaware of his responsibility, or unwilling to do anything about it

I would suggest that almost all right thinking people - especially those who are Landlords - try to check and service their gas appliances most years, regardless of legislation. And also sort out our hot water and heating as soon as we can following a breakdown. We don't not do the former for four years and don't leave the latter for, what, getting on for a month now

I'm sorry if it sounds that I may be pushing you in to something you may feel uncomfortable doing, but do you think the Landlord is going to get this sorted, unless you push now? The Environmental Health Department at your Local Authority can assist, as can (indirectty) CAG too

Let us know what you think - and good luck too