Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder bub1 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Mar 2008

Default How long can a landlord leave me without hot water and heating?

How long can my landlord leave me without hot water or heating?
    It only went off last night but no-one can come in to have a look until tomorrow or sat.

I have no other means of heating as the fire doesnt work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Site Team rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative

Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How long can a landlord leave me without hot water and heating?

Hi bub

Thats clearly not fair and you ask for some monies refunded, it doesn't help your immediate situation, heres some info on repairs http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...bad_conditions

Welcome to Consumer Action Group

'Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.'
    Joshua J. Marine

1) CLAIM BACK ALL PENALTY CHARGES CLICK HERE
    2) CLAIM BACK ALL MIS-SOLD PPI CLICK HERE
    3) COMPOUNDED CONTRACTUAL INTEREST CLICK HERE
    4) REQUEST CCA FROM CREDITOR CLICK HERE
    5) OFT- UNENFORCEABLE AGREEMENTS CLICK HERE
    6) CAREY V HSBC (2009) CLICK HERE
    7) DON'T BE BULLIED BY CREDITORS / DCA's CLICK HERE
    8) IN DEBT DON'T PANIC CLICK HERE
    9) FULL AND FINAL SETTLEMENT CLICK HERE
    10) SALE OF GOODS ACT-EDUCATE YOUR RETAILER CLICK HERE
    11) DISTANCE SELLING-EDUCATE YOR RETAILER
    CLICK HERE
    12)
    SOGA SUMMARY CLICK HERE
    13) WHICH? TEMPLATES CLICK HERE
    14) DOES YOU BANK TREAT YOU FAIRLY BCOBSCLICK HERE
    15) EVERYTHING HOUSING CLICK HERE
    16) UTILITY BACKBILLING CLICK HERE
    17) OFGEM - COMPLAINTSCLICK HERE
    18) OFCOM - COMPLAINTS CLICK HERE

DON'T GIVE UP, THIS SITE WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH GUIDANCE AND EMPOWERMENT

Don't forget to donate to this site

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Mar 2008

Thanks. I am not well and are under the hospital with COPD (Chronic obstructary Pulmanary Disease) does that make any difference?

Site Team rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative

Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    Blog Entries

The landlord has probably got an odd job guy that does work for him, but this is an emergency so it's not the cost that matters, but that you get heating/hot water especially as you've got a Chronic condition. I ring him up and tell him it's not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by bub1 View Post
    Thanks. I am not well and are under the hospital with COPD (Chronic obstructary Pulmanary Disease) does that make any difference?

'Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.'
    Joshua J. Marine

CLICK HERE
    12)
    SOGA SUMMARY CLICK HERE

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    ashmk Highly informative ashmk Highly informative ashmk Highly informative ashmk Highly informative ashmk Highly informative ashmk Highly informative

Cagger since
    Jul 2007

If you have a water tank you are likely to have an immersion heater in the top which will give you hot water. It is electric powered so use it wisley or it ends up costing a fair amount.

Ash.

If you think I have helped you, please add to my reputation by clicking the star button to the left.
    Thankyou.
    Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    mariner51 Highly informative mariner51 Highly informative mariner51 Highly informative mariner51 Highly informative mariner51 Highly informative mariner51 Highly informative

Cagger since
    Jan 2011

'Emergency' repairs can take 3 days, but unless you are an infant, elderly or otherwise 'vulnerable' the current weather/temp is not an emergency IMO so I would hope LL could find qual engineer to assess/repair the problem in 2-3 days. If special parts meed to be ordered repair may not be completed for 2-3 weeks.
    In the meantime I assume you have a kettle and stove to boil water for washing etc and you can buy a new basic fan heater for 10-20 at Argos etc

Rebel11, the heating only went off last night acc to OP so this is not yet an emergency, even with COPD. If it is gas c/h the LL should use a Gas Safe Regd engineer, not an 'odd job' man.
    The OP has hot water alternatives, I presume, and could provide some basic room heat at little cost.

If the OP was a house owner, resp for repair, s/he would have to make temp arrangements and she could use anyone to fix the prob, LL cannot.

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    Blog Entries

Mariner

Heres some info on COPD if you care to read :- http://www.firststopcareadvice.org.u...rmkeepwell.pdf

Joshua J. Marine

CLICK HERE
    12)
    SOGA SUMMARY CLICK HERE

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    mariner51 Highly informative mariner51 Highly informative mariner51 Highly informative mariner51 Highly informative mariner51 Highly informative mariner51 Highly informative

Cagger since
    Jan 2011

Thank you for the leaflet, Rebel.
    I do not mean to be insensitive to the OP, I also suffer from a chronic condition listed in the leaflet, which is aimed at healthcare professionals, carers and relatives/sufferers. I assume the LL is none of these and may not even know of the OPs condition.
    I also read with interesticon, the page on 'Preparations for a cold snap'

The thread title was How long can a landlord leave me without hot water and heating? and my basic reply addressed LLs resp for any T, inc 'vulnerable' ones. Generally, Council EH dept will allow up to 3 days for a critcal repair and the LL has had less than 24 hrs evem if OP tel him last night.

Cagger since
    Mar 2008

Ok, LL never had anyone to do repairs and told me he doesnt have any one he uses.
    Told me to get someone in I know. which I did but they wouldnt bill LL direct instead I have had to pay them send LL bill for him to then send me money and not having alot of money needed to take out of my rent payment which is due next week, where do I stand on this? It was quite a big chunk, but it is all working fine now.
    Please not: The person I got in is fully qualified. Note; Part was more than anything else.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    ashmk Highly informative ashmk Highly informative ashmk Highly informative ashmk Highly informative ashmk Highly informative ashmk Highly informative

Cagger since
    Jul 2007

Oh dear.
    Lets hope your landlord is an honest person or you may find yourself in trouble for not paying rent.

Ash.

If you think I have helped you, please add to my reputation by clicking the star button to the left.
    Thankyou.
    Follows
    Following

Site Team sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2006
    I am in
    it to win it
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashmk View Post
    Oh dear.
    Lets hope your landlord is an honest person or you may find yourself in trouble for not paying rent.
    There is usually a process to follow in circumstances like this:

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad..._doing_repairs

Cagger since
    Mar 2008

I will be paying the rent it just wont be the full amount and the shortfall will be paid in 4 days after. So full rent will be paid. I am not withholding rent or not paying, just wont be full amount at the beginning then the rest in 4 days so full amount will be paid.

Cagger since
    Mar 2008

Forgot to mention been in this position before but the repairs was small amount so could cover them and LL sent me money once he had received bill.
    I know once he has received bill he will reimberse monies which will be after the 4 days that I will pay the rest of the money.
    So any amount owing on the rent would be paid on the 4th day after it was due. The main bulk of it being paid when due. well 3/4 actually!
    Does that make a difference?

Basic Account Holder Batfink Novitiate Batfink's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

Why not speak to your landlord and arrange to pay the rent LESS the cost of the invoice (which he has a copy of now, I presume)? Would mean less adminicon for you and him...

Cagger since
    Mar 2008

Right, I have checked my paperwork and I have been without proper heating and water since 28/1/11.
    Landlord knows the problem but said he will sort it, but I need to know how long he has. The gas man has spoken to him and explained what needs to b done before it breaks down altogether. I can only use one room at the moment together with the bedroom..

Where do I go from here?

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Jan 2011

What did the gas man tell you and what was his cost estimate and date he can undertake the repair?
    How does the LL 'intend to sort it out'

Heating has not broken down completely acc to your last post, so for the moment it is a non-urgent repair. Give the LL 1 month to repair and negotiate.

Cagger since
    Mar 2008

I have no heating and no water. Gas man said he could do asap as emergency.
    Only electric fire.

Cost is over 2500

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Jan 2011

Then I guess LL is considering new boiler and or system. Poss checking if qualifies for WarmFront or other grant.

Cagger since
    Mar 2008

If he had got it done in first pplace properly 3 years ago then there would not have been a problem. Boiler 3 years old. Put in boiler that also should have been a combi and adjusted pipework, They just put in boiler and left pipework as it is.
    I didnt know he could apply for a grant and I dont think he does either, any more info on this?

Is this now classed as an emergency!
    Because I think it is.

Because they didnt adjust pipework for new boiler it has mucked up pipes so that they need replacing together with the boiler, if it doesnt get changed then everybit of pipework including rad ones need to be done, which means more money than replacing boiler and pipework.
    Something else my gas man found was that when they put in something by tank in bathroom they must have had a leak and put alot of putty stuff on it and newspaper underthat. So job not done properly in first place.

This person who installed cannot be contacted on phone number we have, Is it possible to check if his corgi reg was legal? I hav his number remember this was in 2007?

Basic Account Holder NewSAHD Informative NewSAHD Informative NewSAHD Informative NewSAHD Informative NewSAHD's Avatar

Cagger since
    Oct 2009

Quick reply now due to hour, but what have you been doing for heating and hot water these past few weeks?

You initially said the problem started 17 Feb 2011, but subsequently stated "I have been without proper heating and water since 28/1/11."

It's pretty much 4 weeks now that you've had this problem (is this right?) and you seem no closer to it being resolved. You may well be able to negotiate a reduction in rent for this period too (depending on circumstances, but no guarantee) but the priority has to be to get the problem sorted

Personally, I'd be seeking a firm undertaking from the Landlord as to his intentions now, as to when he expects to start and complete the work. If you have an email address do it this way, so as to more easily document what's happening. If you get no satisfaction I'd be on to the Environmental Health Department at your Local Authority pdq - I'd be tempted to do this anyway, as it may be a few days before they can get to see you

The downside is that you arel likely to have an AST (Assured Shorthold tenancy) if so you do not have any great security after the initial term has expired, so keep your dealings with the landlord polite, reasonable - but by all means firm

All that aside I doubt that the Landlord would accept this state of affairs in his own home, not after this time, why should you?

(Are you in England and Wales and is your deposit, if paid, protected? Please post here if uncertain as others will be along soon enough too I'm sure)

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here
    Follows
    Following

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE