deceased person vacant property CTAX demand - who has to pay?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4714 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My partners mother sadly died a year ago. We have been trying unsucsesfully to sell her house for 9 months. It is unnocupied and has no furniture in it. We have now recieved a letter from the local authority telling us that we need to re-start paying council tax at £100 per month.

There is hardly any money left in the estate and we cannot afford to pay this. Can they insist that we pay?

Edited by woody1066

I presume you had a Class C exemption put on from the date it became unoccupied and unfurnished which has now expired? AFAIK yes they can insist you pay because that exemption has now ended and unless you fulfill requirements for any other exemptions the full charge applies.

I presume you had a Class C exemption put on from the date it became unoccupied and unfurnished which has now expired? AFAIK yes they can insist you pay because that exemption has now ended and unless you fulfill requirements for any other exemptions the full charge applies.

So to recap, we will have to pay this even though the debt is not in our names? I allways thought that any debts left when someone dies form a part off the estate and that the estate has to settle this.

The money should come from the estate. The council need to be billing the estate or executors rather than relaives. If the place is unoccupied that is a lot of money to be paying on council tax. Hopefully all utilities have been updated to avoid large unexpected bills.

• 2 months later...

went through this myself 2 yrs ago.

the executors have to pay unoccupied rates + you can get another discount as second property

that was £176 forget the other discount but i can look if needed

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...