Council tax liability

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4819 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have been trying since September to sort out council tax benefit. I am a mature full time student and receive a superannuation pension, child tax credit and child benefit. My partner became self employed in September, receives working tax credit but has no income as yet nor any projected for at least six months.Am I liable for his council tax? I have had to send in all my bank account details etc (three times) even evidence of child support I should receive even though my ex husband refuses to pay. Would just like clarification as to my liability.

I own my property.

Thank you

It's not 'his' council tax, it's the council tax levied on the property and whoever is living there is liable for it. If he no longer lives with you, then all you can do is ask him nicely if he will contribute to help you out.

Even if it was his name on the bill, it is still a joint liability.

Thanks for the advice, I have discovered I am classed under 'hierarchy liability' which means if no one else in the property has an income and I own the house I am responsible and my 'student' exemption does not count.

I have been trying since September to sort out council tax benefit. I am a mature full time student and receive a superannuation pension, child tax credit and child benefit. My partner became self employed in September, receives working tax credit but has no income as yet nor any projected for at least six months.Am I liable for his council tax?

You may be the owner but your resident partner is determined to be at the same level of the hierarchy as you.

The hierarchy of liability will show you as being on the same level as your resident partner however , as a full time student, you are not jointly liable for the council tax due. Since 1 Apr 2004 a student on the same level of the hierarchy of liability cannot be held jointly liable with any other non-students at the same level on the hierarchy of liability.

Thanks for the advice, I have discovered I am classed under 'hierarchy liability' which means if no one else in the property has an income and I own the house I am responsible and my 'student' exemption does not count.

Income doesn't come in to when looking at liability.

Assuming there is only you and partner resident (aged over 18yrs of age) then a 25% discount applies due to you being a full time student.