Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

BAILIFFS - The Law and Your Rights

Written by John Kruse, one of the leading experts on Bailiff Law, this consumer friendly guide is essential reading for anyone who comes into contact with a bailiff.

The book is easy to understand and clearly explains the rights a bailiff has, and also what they cannot do when collecting debts and repossessing goods etc.

£13.95 + £2.00 (P&P)
+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder stroke a badger Novitiate stroke a badger Novitiate stroke a badger's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jan 2007
    I am in
    the dark, hiding with beer.

Default Car Clamped by Ethical Parking Management

On Saturday I parked my car for 24hrs in a privately owned carpark in Brighton, paid the required amount due the duration of my intended stay and left the ticket on the dash and walked away. A couple of hours later i had to collect something form the car and it would seem that in my hurry to get back to the hotel i was staying in i neglected to check the ticket was still on display. You guess it, when i closed the door the ticket slipped off the Dashboard.

The next morning when i collected the car it had been clamped and a lovely yellow notice was left on the windscreen stating that in order for the clamp to be removed i would have to pay £120. I phoned the expensive 0844 number, explained the situation and contested my innocence but was told tough, pay to have the clamp removed of the car will be towed away. I paid the £120 by CC under duress by Credit card as I had to be somewhere else and the clamp was removed. When the “Parking Enforcement Officer” arrived some 2 hours later i expressed my frustration using some choice words, I’m not proud of what i called him!

I could appeal the charge but know the chance of success is pretty much nonexistent so am I correct in thinking the only way I can reclaim the £120 paid to release the clamp is to request a chargeback from my CC company?

Sign a few metres away from the car.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder topcat1802 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

Default Re: Car Clamped by Ethical Parking Management

There is always the small claimsicon court!

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative

Cagger since
    Feb 2008

Credit card chargeback - go for it.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative

Cagger since
    Jun 2008

Chargeback would the best way to go if you can talk the CC company into it. Failing that it would have to be a small claimsicon court, but make sure you include the landowner in your claim as, win or loose, the PPC will never pay you!

Basic Account Holder stroke a badger Novitiate stroke a badger Novitiate stroke a badger's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2007
    I am in

How would i find the landowner?

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    dw190 Informative dw190 Informative dw190 Informative

Cagger since
    Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by stroke a badger View Post
    How would i find the landowner?

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jan 2007
    I am in

I know where the car park is but not the name of the company/person who owns the land.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    dw190 Informative dw190 Informative dw190 Informative

Cagger since
    Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by stroke a badger View Post
    I know where the car park is but not the name of the company/person who owns the land.
    You will need a grid reference from a recent Ordenance map or just go to the local libraryicon and get a photocopy of a map showing the exact map position of the carpark. Mark the map with red felt tip around the the exact place and send to land reg with the fee for a copy of the Title.

http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/asse...e_001.html#2.4

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jan 2007
    I am in

Well it turns out that my CC will not do a Chargeback as I athorised the transaction. I explained that payment was made under duress but they said there was nothing they could do.

Basic Account Holder afcwben Novitiate afcwben's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jul 2010

I am not sure if that is correct. If you were blackmailed you would be under duress, I think you need to go back and force the issue. I recall a posting somewhere on this forum where someone forced a chargeback. I cannot recall where it was b ut maybe you could have a trawl and see if you can locate it and pm the poster. However you may decide to do as suggested in Post #3

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    esmerobbo Novitiate esmerobbo Novitiate esmerobbo's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2007
    I am in
    Liverpool

I would ring the CC company again ask to speak to someone higher. If they still say no ask them to put it in writing saying that's their final decision as you wish to complain to the fosicon

Cagger since
    Jan 2007
    I am in

Quote Originally Posted by esmerobbo View Post
    I would ring the CC company again ask to speak to someone higher. If they still say no ask them to put it in writing saying that's their final decision as you wish to complain to the fosicon
    My CC company have FINALLY agreed to accept a chargeback but need a detailed account of the sequence of events and a copy of the parking ticketicon before they will process my request.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE