style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4806 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I was made bankrupt a while back, in that year's May.

The council have pursued me for the Council Tax for that year from May onwards, but not for April, which they have said is covered by the bankruptcy.

The thing is - I always understood that Council Tax as a debt, is DUE in the April of any year, for the year ahead. The fact that Councils allow us to spread the payments is purely a concession.

IF that is true, and the liability for the WHOLE amount is actually applicable in the April, shouldn't the full year's Council Tax due be part of the bankruptcy, and thus written off, not just the first of monthly payments the Council would be ready to accept? The fact that the concession allows payments to be made for the months AFTER the bankruptcy shouldn't change the (earlier) DUE DATE for the year's tax, should it?

Hope someone can advise.

NotGivingUp

1 April might be the due date but the amount is applicable for the duration of the financial year and is worked out daily - it's not a one-off fee due in April. So, for example, if you live in a property for 3 months you are only actually liable for the charge for those 3 months and not the whole 12.

I don't know how bankruptcy works with regards to writing off amounts so can't advise on that but the CT definitely covers the whole year.

you are liable from May onwards

just as above if you moved into a property mid year you are still due for that portion of the yuear

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)