council tax on repossed house

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4820 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi,just got a court summons to attend court over council tax on a repossed house,the facts are

1 the bank got a eviication order in jan 2010 so i moved out into rented house 1-2-10,

2 the bank finally repossed the house on 1-9-10,so the council are wanting the rest of the years payments,i don,t have any paper work as to when the house was repossed,so i sent the council a letter from the estate agents stateing the date they put it up for sale and the date they sold it but the council say this is not good enough,should i get a copy of the land registry to send them or should i just attend court and explain the situation.

So, you moved out in February 2010 and the house was reposessed in September 2010. Do the council want the council tax for Feb-Sept 2010, or for Feb 2010-March 2011? I take it that when the house was reposessed it then officially becomes the bank's property and you are not the owner of it anymore?

Until such time as the property is re-sold you are liable for any council tax due as you remain the properties legal owner.

From the date of re-possession a Class L exemption is applicable - you need to provide evidence to the council.

Prior to the date of re-possession and whilst the property was unoccupied then you are entitled to a discount, if it was furnished, or a 6 months Class C exemption if the property was unoccupied and unfurnished. Again, you need to apply for this.