Private Surveillance Companies

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4908 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Have recently established that a disabled man friend of mine was surveilled for several days by a private detective agency appointed by an insurer. The surveillance extended to watching him from the front of the house, through a kitchen window, watching people coming and going from the property, noting their appearance, moves etc. In addition, someone came to the door pretending to be lost and asking directions.

Can anyone tell me - is this completely legal? I thought it was not allowed to surveil what someone did inside their properties, and certainly not to come to their door to speak to them under false pretences.

Would be interested to know if any of this breaks the law.

Thanks

CFM

Hi Rebel11

Thank you for the link. I have had a quick browse and I can only see info and regulations relating to public/state bodies. Are private surveillance companies regulated?

Many thanks

CFM

It is frowned upon certainly by the Courts but it is possible to use evidence that has been obtained rather unsavourably.

JEAN F JONES v UNIVERSITY OF WARWICK (2003) is a case where the investigators pretended to be market researchers and went into the Claimant's house to film her when she had no idea. Court not happy about it but said that evidence was allowed in Court as it related to the claim....

These companies are being used more and more and not just for investigating insurance fraud. When I was suing a County Council they used one purely for intimidation. Our neighbours were 'interviewed' to try and dig any dirt on us and it's quite frightening to realise what people will make up to curry favour with 'authority'. Luckily it was so wild it could all be disproved. One investigator made a point of photographing us and our property on a fairly regular basis. For some reason he didn't like it when we went out with a camera to make him feel special too. There was a funny side, my vertically challenged, 58 year old, decidedly portly husband was delighted to be described in one witness statement as 'six feet tall of medium build and in his mid forties'. He was most upset they didn't use that one in court.