is my ex liable for council tax and is it fair they stop it out of my wages when they originally paid him the benefit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4882 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently being stop £60 every two weeks from my wages to pay council tax arrears. My query is, i lived with my ex the whole time at the property but the council tax was always in my name, however when we were out of work and signed on, the council tax benefit was in his name. They are now saying because his name wasnt on letters and have already taken court proceedings against me they will not start again to pursue him to. Leaving me liable for whole debt which isnt really fair considering he lived there to. In response to this they are also saying they have no prove he lived there even tho benefit in his name. So in repsonse to this i said they must put a single person discount on whole amount and they now say they cant do that either, Is it right that he gets off scott free without no responsibilty to debt, and can i fight the council. I have proof he was recieveing the council tax benefit

Council Tax is looked on as jointly and severally liable so they can go after either partner and unfortunately even if you argue you should only pay half they are entitled to take the whole lot. Unfortunately it appears that you are the softest option and an attachment of earnings is in place. Unless you can prove you weren't liable or can prove the other half has the immediate means to pay in full you will be saddled with this until paid. It's a very unfair system in some respects.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

He wouldn't have actually received any money from the council for the council tax benefit as the amount you qualify for is deducted from what you owe on your council tax account, so that shouldn't really make any difference. If he submitted a joint housing/council tax benefit claim for the both of you then the claim would be in his name, however that still doesn't mean he gains anything in respect to the council tax.

If you are the sole adult then I don't see why they won't apply an SPD - put that in writing and see what happens I reckon.

As for the arrears: if your name is on the council tax bill then they can chase you for the whole amount, as ploddertom said. If it was just your name on the council tax bill then legally they can only chase you for it. If his name was never on the bill then technically he isn't liable for that debt.