Council tax demand. please help!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4905 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi there, i will try to keep this short

back in September 2007 I started my nurse training and a couple of week before i started my husband was made redundant, so we decided that he will be stay at home dad.

I was entitled to a student disregard, so filled in a form at my council office stating my circumstances explaining that hubby was out of work.

I shortly received a bill stating that no council tax was due to be paid, and received the same bills for the 3 years of my course.

My husband also became a full time student in the year 2009-2010, but we didn't fill in a disregard form as we didn't pay council tax anyway.

I informed the council in September that I had finished my course and that hubby and I are now working, and I received a bill detailing a 25% discount, so telephoned them questioning what it was for. I was asked if my husband was living with me for the last three years to which I said yes, and explained he had been unemployed and also a student, and I was told I would receive an updated bill.

so today my husband has received a bill for over £2000! for amounts due over the last three years!! due by Dec 7th 2010.

I just don't understand how they have made such a huge mistake, and am so worried as we just can't pay such a huge amount.

any advice would be greatly received.

tia

i'd query that

sounds like someones got something wrong.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

This definitely needs querying, they've made a mistake and haven't bothered to inform you of it or how it can be resolved, they've just lumbered you with a huge bill. Unless you filled out a council tax and housing benefit form they should have been charging you your normal council tax rate minus 25% for you whilst you were a student; they shouldn't have been charging you zero.

You might be able to sumit a backdated benefit claim but I'm not sure how far back they would be able start it from. Get in touch with the council tax dept re this enormous amount they are suddenly demanding, and then contact the benefits dept to see how far back claims can go - make sure you expain this situation to them as it might make a difference.

Good luck!