Tesco Cancelling Car Insurance on misinformation?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4917 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello,

Just had a bit of a showdown with Tesco. Basically, I am the named driver on my mum's policy, but seeing as she is disabled and usually pretty unwell, I mainly drive the car.

I had to call them on an unrelated matter and the guy then proceeded to tell me that seeing as I am usually the driver, we are having our insurance cancelled?

I don't get it - We both do drive the car, usually. But as my mum is really ill I have been driving so it is being cancelled - sorry, my grasp of english isnt great anyway and I think they have used that to their advantage!! They really have no understanding of usual situations and is it legal for them to do this - and will we be able to reinsure the car?

All insurance contracts can be cancelled by the insurer (normally without giving a reason) as long as they provide adequate notice.

Effectively they are saying that there has been some kind of deceit in that you are actually the main driver of the vehicle when you are not insured in this manner. I suspect you'd be better off insuring with someone else under a shared driver policy this time (making clear that you drive the car more often than occasionally).

Have they sent you any letters?

Just get your mum to phone them to explain the position that as she has been ill, that you have been driving. If she changes you over to be the main driver and agrees to the extra premium, perhaps they won't cancel.

Insurers have to give a minimum of 7 days notice in writing of cancellation before they cancel, so your mum has time to resolve.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread