• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Sky broadband issues

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

About 4 months ago I signed up to Sky Broadband but because of where I live they could only offer my Sky Connect. I did everything asked of me during the first two weeks (left the router on 24/7)

Sky told me I could get up to 6.5 meg after testing my line.

Even after that, the best speed (D/L) I could get was 1.2meg so I wrote to them within the first 3 months to query this.

3 weeks later I got a phone call from Sky's tech dept. who got me signed in to my router and told me that the settings I saw was the speed I was getting as online broadband speed checkers were not accurate.

My router said:

downstream connection speed:- 8128

upstream connection speed:- 448

I have just done yet another speed check and my speeds are:

D/L 808Kbps

U/L 282Kbps

Have I been misled by the Sky geek?

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

From what you have said, you may be getting exactly what was quoted to you.

There are 2 ways of measuring bandwidth, bits per second and bytes per second.

There are 8 bits in 1 byte.

When you see adverts and such offering "8mb broadband" or "20mb broadband" thats in bits, well megabits actually.

However download speeds are generally measured in bytes per second, such as you might see in your browser or a speedtest.

Now you said you are getting 808 download speed, if you multiply that by 8 (to convert from bytes to bits) you get 6464, which is roughly the 6.5meg they quoted to you, even though the router records more sometimes they will limit you at first to what the system thinks your line can handle, then up it later on.

Now the only concern is that you said 808 Kbps which IS bits already! Now if this is correct, then you definitely aren't getting anywhere close to what the router has recorded.

Best thing to do is do a speedtest from here:

Oops, I can't post links yet - so google for 'speedtest' and it's the first link

Should be speedtest . net

Above the map a green button saying "begin test" will appear, press that and let it do the test - make sure nothing is using the internet at the time! Once the test is complete the results will appear with 2 buttons underneath, press on the one saying copy direct link and then paste that link into a reply to this thread, that will let us see exactly what you are getting with no confusion between whether the test is in bits or bytes.

Apologies for the formatting in my posts, I do put paragraphs in but the forum removes them for some reason :(

Thanks for your input Lucifa.

Bit more info on my PC.

AMD+ Motherboard (Basically AM3) AMD Athlon AM3 quad core processor so not a slow PC. Direct line of sight between PC and Router (no other equipment near router that could cause inteference) 2gb RAM

Speedtest below

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1012245807.png

Going back to my ZX81 days, wasn't there an extra 'bit' in there (parity check) making 9 bits to the byte (yes I am that old:-))

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

While I am also that old, I don't remember anything about a parity bit :) but certainly in bandwidth/network speed terms 8bits=1byte.

Ok so from your speedtest you are getting well below what your router is recording.

According to what you said your router is connected at 8Mbps, they said your line was capable of at least 6.5 and you are getting just over 1 and it's nothing to do with bits/bytes.. Something is definitely wrong here!

Now the Sky engineer was kind of correct with saying that speedtests aren't accurate, they can vary with time of day, general internet traffic use, what else your PC might be doing, whether you own a dog or not etc.

However, I would not expect a line that's apparently connected at 8Mbps to test at 1Mbps. 7 perhaps, maybe even 6.5 on a bad day but not 1 - no way!

The best place to start is to rule out everything on your side of the connection before going back to Sky.

Now you mentioned line of sight, are you using WiFi? If so, it might be worth connecting

directly via a network cable just to rule out the possibility that's it the WiFi causing this.

Next thing to try if you can is a speedtest from another PC, if you have one? Perhaps a friend with a laptop if not?

Apologies for the formatting in my posts, I do put paragraphs in but the forum removes them for some reason :(

Good point. I'll pinch my neighbours laptop. I might even tell him :lol:

I did connect it via an ethernet cable and the result was about 5% quicker

What did annoy me was that the Sky bod was trying to blind me with technical jargon. He even had me believing him until I tried to watch BBC iplayer and it continued buffering. I downloaded New Tricks on Saturday. 630Mb download took nearly 2 hours. I did try speedtests at various times and the worst was the evenings (0.6 D/L)

I used to be with Virgin before I moved home and the speeds (on the same PC) were superb.(in excess of 8 meg)

Speedcheckers are not always acurate, if you have antivirus programs / download managers / windows and other programs downloading at the same time as your speed check, your results will be a lot lower. Also any games consols connected online? Wifi mobile phones? Youtube playing? All saps bandwith....

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

silverfox

imo. sky connect is notoriously slow. it uses BT equipment (rather than sky's own) at an exhange, and is subject to DLM, and traffic management.

see for eg http://www.skyuser.co.uk/skyinfo/sky_connect_broadband_traffic_management.html and http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-help/27611-sky-connect-broadband-you-being-slowed-down.html

Edited by Ford
typo

Hi i sympathize with your situation but i can tell you yes 100% you have been lied to by a geek.

The speeds that your router is showing are the maximum speeds that it can carry down your line , ie the speeds that you would receive with 0 contention and 0 traffic management by sky . They are the results of a test that your router carries out , but they are vastly different to the speeds you actually receive!

I have had all of the same problems with sky connect and today having had them deinstall my sky + and give me my mac code , they have also compensated me 150 quid for my time and their lies.

I will bet all of my money that your speeds are fine between 9am and 5pm , if they are not fine they will be faster at the very least! At 5 pm Sky "traffic manage" their broadband connect to death!

I was getting speeds of 3 meg during the day and 600kb after 5pm ... for week 1!

These speeds soon dropped to 1.5meg before 5pm and 30kbs after5pm and on the weekends! half the speed of dial up. I rang sky.

Answer 1 . same as they told you .. i knew that was bull and explained his job to him , pride getting the better of him he said he knew that he was wrong but its what they are supposed to say!!

Answer 2 ( after escalation ) its a misprofiling issue! took 3 days to sort it but nothing changed.

Answer 3 Its a line fault we will fix it but its BT so we cant do it immediately ! 7 days later , no change .

Here i Emailed lots of top brass at Bskyb , now we get service! i will pop the email address at the end of this sob story!

Executive complaints at BSkyb got in touch , brilliant service , told me that i was not in breach of my useage cap ( 40gb ) but the connection was awfully slow and the top engineers would get on it straight away! I went through some rigmarole here and will spare the details but what i learned is this!

1. Sky connect 40gb usage cap is broken into 30 1.3gb units and if you use more than that in one day you are choked " traffic managed!" to less than 100kbs in my case . for 5 days ( my experience lasted 17 days at that speed! Their best advise from their top engineer was to turn my router off until Monday!

* This appears nowhere in the terms and conditions and means that it is impossible to use 40gb a month . 1.3 gb a day is an entirely different proposal to 40gb a month and they are in breach of contract.Even their own call center staff at lower levels are not privy to this information.

2. Sky connect has no priority to bandwidth at peak times and at 5pm exactly it will drop to awful speeds. Sky admitted to me that this wont change and that they don't pay enough to utilize peak bandwidth in exchanges where they rent their hardware from BT.

All in all it aint broke its just no good , and although they can probably speed you up a little by re profiling you , your broadband will always be compromised at peak times and you are penalized by downloading or using what is a very low level of data.

The geek lied , i wish you every luck in getting this sorted . I emailed all of the following bigwigs and got a response within 48 hours. They will not admit to what i have just told you, but i guarantee they will not fix the problem.

I just tried to post this with all the relevant email addresses but as its my first post im not allowed , so you should email jeremy dot darroch at bskyb dot com . Expect a reply within 48 hours , tell them that you have been fobbed off and demand to know the real reasons . Include your acc number and loads of contact details ie. Address telephone and email . I have more contact addresses but think this one will be fine . If not i have the escalated phone number for Sky it gets answered within a minute by a capable person :) . Let me know how it goes . gl.

• Haha 1

Thankyou for your input. It is very enlightening.

I shall follow your advice.

Apologies for not being able to post links yet. Get a few more posts under your belt and all will be well

PS Thanks to all the other posters. All input is appreciated.

Silverfox, maybe PM IdaInFife as she works for Sky...

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

We had exactly the same problem, and after several calls to them, they agreed to let us out of the contract and now have a different provider, after talking to some Tech on the phone about the really slow speeds, he even agreed that with gamers in the house like I have it was unacceptable and he admitted he wasnt even with Sky himself as it was too slow.

Reading my original reply back i realize that i didn't highlight one of my main points very well , lower level customer services and engineers all told me ( and i think honestly ) that i was not being capped or choked due to exceeding my usage limit of 40gb because as they could see and i could prove i had only downloaded 17 and uploaded 7 gb in the previous 31 days . However once the problem was perused to a higher level the engineers and exec complaints dept admitted that the 40gb was broken into daily chunks of 1.3 gb and hence i was being choked for breaking my usage allowance! Its not in the terms and conditions anywhere and it really is quite scandalous

Well I emailed the addy that Safenath gave me and today I got a call from their executive department who said that one of the techies would call sometime between now and Tuesday.

An hour later, a call from the techie came in and he guided me through BT's own speedtest website which Sky use to check broadband speeds and he has confirmed that although the line should be able to handle 7.5 Mbps, on this test, the max I was getting was 1.34 Mbps.

I have been asked to do a few more tests between now and Tuesday when they will call me back so that they can then get a better idea of what the issues are.

It's things like this that re-enforce my respect for Sky (apart from the previous muppet). Someone actually taking ownership of a problem and trying to rectify it.

I am on connect as well but my speed i ok - i can throw a stone to my local exchange which helps. I do know that in the last week or 2 they have had problems with the connect network which has casued alot of users to be down or very slow but obvioulsy not all the time and not effecting foxy.

BB is not one of my strengths i'm afraid and can't wait when us connect users get put transferred to the better network which shouldn't be too far away :whoo:

Glad someone is dealing with it for you Foxy

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

What did the exec level guy say about the fact that they told you that you WERE getting 7.5gb? Im sorry to be the bearer of this ( bias bearer as am still a little bitter :oops:) but i went through the same process , on monday or tuesday you will be told probably correctly that you are mis profiled and you will have to redo the leaving your router on for a few days whilst they establish your lines best speed. Misprofiling is common with connect and reprofiling sped up my day time speeds but the evenings were still slower than snail and erratic connections as it was only part of the problem. I agree that the service at this exec level is superb ( shouldnt have to email the MD of BSKYB to get it but hey!) and i can tell by your generous emails that you will give them the benefit of the doubt at every turn... but remember you are only here because you queued on their system and got lied to by that geek that almost certainly new what he was doing , ASK QUESTIONS ! Why does it slow down at 5pm on the dot? this does not fit with a line problem nor does it fit with a profile problem , what is my contention ratio ? . Oh and my last piece of advice and it will save your sanity is ask for their phone number! Answered within a minute no queues ....sweeet . good luck my Vulpine friend i honestly hope its different for you.

What did the exec level guy say about the fact that they told you that you WERE getting 7.5gb? Im sorry to be the bearer of this ( bias bearer as am still a little bitter :oops:) but i went through the same process , on monday or tuesday you will be told probably correctly that you are mis profiled and you will have to redo the leaving your router on for a few days whilst they establish your lines best speed. Misprofiling is common with connect and reprofiling sped up my day time speeds but the evenings were still slower than snail and erratic connections as it was only part of the problem. I agree that the service at this exec level is superb ( shouldnt have to email the MD of BSKYB to get it but hey!) and i can tell by your generous emails that you will give them the benefit of the doubt at every turn...

but remember you are only here because you queued on their system and got lied to by that geek that almost certainly new what he was doing

Not quite. I found my way in and I'm damned if I can find the way out :lol:

, ASK QUESTIONS ! Why does it slow down at 5pm on the dot? this does not fit with a line problem nor does it fit with a profile problem , what is my contention ratio ? . Oh and my last piece of advice and it will save your sanity is ask for their phone number! Answered within a minute no queues ....sweeet . good luck my Vulpine friend i honestly hope its different for you.

Thanks for the pointers.

I don't want to leave Sky so I will give them every chance to sort this. Before signing up, I did the research and found that the BT exchange is 2 miles away and it only has a BT server in it so any other BB company I went with would have had to charge me a higher price. Sky was the only one to offer a 40GB limit at the price they did. Others offered 60GB but at stupid rates. The majority only offered 10GB which isn't enough for me as I seem to spend the majority of my day online so you can see I'm fairly restricted on my choice of supplier.

Once I get to the BBB stage (Bullsh*t Baffles Brains) I then go on the offensive. Hopefully it won't get to that stage

Lol Bullsh*t Baffles Brains suggests that you are ex military? thats the only place i ever heard that expression!

If you download more than 1.3gb a day they will Traffic manage you heavily....what speeds do you get after 5pm? ..... You are bang on the money with finding the servers in your exchange , i find the "sam knows best " site the best for that.

Lol Bullsh*t Baffles Brains suggests that you are ex military? thats the only place i ever heard that expression!

Nope-two brothers (Coldstream Guards and Royal Signals)

Update,

Had two calls today from a very pleasant lady who took my speedtest readings and agreed they were significantly lower than what they should be. She then went away to do a diagnostic on the line while I started a download from BBC iplayer (at her request)

When she rang back, I told her the speed of the download (50-79 Kbps - 2 hour download for an hour program) and she agreed there was something wrong.

The outcome. Nothing much. She is getting BT to do a check and see if they can reprofile me and they should call me back tomorrow. Waiting with baited breath

Another update.

After BT ran a test on the line, nothing was found so Sky decided to send me another router.

It came this morning (eventually- Sky didn't put my full address on and it went to the wrong place!)

Plugged it in, switched it on and did a speed test. Well waddaya know :whoo:

Download speed 6082 and upload 382. One hell of a boost.

I just need to leave it on for around 10 days for my profile to be fully set.

All in all (even after the silly techie) I'm impressed

Well that is good news , but im a pessimist when it comes to sky connect and although i hope that im wrong heres what i think is happening....

Sky send you the Router and your line speed will be optimal ( mine was ) , the 10 day profiling is the time it takes for BT and sky to put you at the back of the queue for peaktime bandwidth, due to lack of infrastructure and or over subscription.. , i hereby wee on the fire and predict a slowing of internet connection by December .

Actually i really do hope that it works out for you , fingers crossed...........

Well that is good news , but im a pessimist when it comes to sky connect and although i hope that im wrong heres what i think is happening....

Sky send you the Router and your line speed will be optimal ( mine was ) , the 10 day profiling is the time it takes for BT and sky to put you at the back of the queue for peaktime bandwidth, due to lack of infrastructure and or over subscription.. , i hereby wee on the fire and predict a slowing of internet connection by December .

Actually i really do hope that it works out for you , fingers crossed...........

I do hope you are wrong. We'll see in a couple of weeks. If they do slow me down, the brown stuff will certainly be winging its way to the revolving air movement device

I can now say that I am happy with Sky.

The speed varies between 3 and 6 Mbps but that is due to the different times I did the test. It's slowest in the evenings. Considering the fastest I should be getting is 7.1, I'm quite happy.

Got left a voicemail yesterday from the executive office confirming they are closing the complaint (I spoke to a techie the day before, confirming was all ok) and also to give me 6 months half price on my TV subscription. I just wish I was on a higher subscription now :-) Still, 6 months at 11 quid helps.

Thankyou to everyone who has offered help/advice. It is very much appreciated. If it all goes t*ts up in the future, this thread might just get resurrected