Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder PDawn Novitiate PDawn's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jun 2010
    I am in
    Mind yer own

Default Moorcroft Debt Recovery - letters to deceased demanding payment

Hi all

Can anyone give me advice re Moorcroft Debt Recovery tactics please?

My mother has opened a letter from Moorcroft Debt Recovery addressed to my father who died last year. They are demanding money allegedly owed to phone company 02. It appears that even though my brother informed 02 that my father had died a few days after his death and my mother no longer wished to continue the phone contract the 'debt' which is claimed is almost 500 has been passed to Moorcroft. My father did not owe a penny so I have no idea how this sum has been reached.

I have advised my mum not to worry as the letter is not addressed to her, but the letter is threatening court action/baliffs. Had I seen the letter, I would have returned it unopened marked 'deceased' and 'not at this address'. Advice please as mum is in no position to pay such a large amount, even if dad owed it in the first place.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    harrassed senior Authoritative harrassed senior Authoritative harrassed senior Authoritative harrassed senior Authoritative harrassed senior Authoritative harrassed senior Authoritative harrassed senior Authoritative harrassed senior Authoritative harrassed senior Authoritative harrassed senior's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2009
    I am in
    a much better mood now

Default Re: Moorcroft Debt Recovery - letters to deceased demanding payment

My advice would be to send a letter, does not really matter whether from you or your Mother informing Moorcroft that the person to who the letter is addressed died a while ago and further inform them that the OC (o2) had been informed at the time.

Should they insist by writing any further, come back onto CAGicon and there will be further assistance available.

Every journey begins with a single step

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.

If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You

The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA

Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.
    Follows
    Following

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2008
    I am in
    Southsea
    Blog Entries

http://www.thebereavementregister.org.uk/

Add your fathers details onto the bereavement register also.

Contact O2 and tell them in no uncertain terms that unless they call off their chosen third party threat monkey, you will seek legal advice with a view to suing for damages against both O2 and Moorcr@p.
    As you say IF there were any liability owed, then they should have put in a vested interesticon when probateicon was being granted, as they didn't they lose. tough cheddar.

Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere!
    How to use Photobucket by Huggie41.
    HOW DO I START A NEW THREAD?

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder Robbop Novitiate Robbop's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2006
    I am in
    Southampton

Hi,
    I am the brother mentioned by the O.P. We entered dad's details onto the bereavement register a few days after he died - almost a year ago now. As Dad's estate consisted largely of their home and very little else, we were advised that there was no need to go to probateicon as Mum was the sole beneficiary, and as far as we knew he had no debts. However it strikes me as strange that they have taken until now to try and reclaim the "debt". Do you think they are "trying it on"?

Rob - reclaiming what's mine
    S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent to Smile 9/10/2006
    Partial repayment - 1700
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder Somebody Told Me Informative Somebody Told Me Informative Somebody Told Me Informative Somebody Told Me Informative Somebody Told Me Informative

Cagger since
    Aug 2009

I'd give the usual customer service routes one chance to sort this after that I'd try their Press Office http://mediacentre.o2.co.uk/Contacts/Contacts-d7.aspx

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2007
    I am in
    Wales
    Blog Entries

My sincere condolences to you and your family. You've been through enough without dealing with this.

Press office a very good idea, if they have one. You should mention other DCAicon blunders, the most sick one I've heard about was the case of Beryl Brazier.

DCAs chasing deceased people is not uncommon. They're amazing at what depths they will sink to.

My personal reply would be to write to Moorcr@p and give them my relative's new address Not to everyone's taste of course. (Please exscuse my SOH but I've had a bit of a run in years ago with these bunch of numpties).

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private

BB 13 - DCAs/banks and solicitors 0.

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

<--- If you feel I've helped, please twinkle my star
    Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    harrassed senior Authoritative harrassed senior Authoritative harrassed senior Authoritative harrassed senior Authoritative harrassed senior Authoritative harrassed senior Authoritative harrassed senior Authoritative harrassed senior Authoritative harrassed senior Authoritative harrassed senior's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2009
    I am in
    a much better mood now

Have you had a read of this? - I am sure you have, but just as a reference point:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...rs/DG_10013093

Every journey begins with a single step

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.

If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You

The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA

Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder jimbo45 Novitiate jimbo45 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2008

Hi there
    Please don't take this in the wrong way as it's not intended to belittle the serious nature of your post at a distressing time -- however with DCAicon's like moorcr@p it's always worth "Baiting" them.

In addition to the suggestions outlined in previous posts such as harassement etc also send their letter back with a statement saying that the person concerned DOES NOT LIVE at the this address any more so please in future address all correspondence regarding this matter to her current address C/O "The Holy Ghost, Heaven" and then let them get on with it.

Knowing moorcr@p with their "pre-pubescent teen" and other "divisions" they will probably try to send it to that address too.

Cheers
    jimbo

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2007
    I am in
    Wales
    Blog Entries

St. Paul has better things to do than to take a sack of mail to the Almighty

The big GR is busy as well, or at least he was when I bumped into him in February

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jun 2010
    I am in
    Mind yer own

Thanks, I didn't expect such a response to my question. I'll get together with my bro in a couple of days and devise a suitable reply to Moorcr@p & Co. I'll keep you posted if there are any further developments.

PD x

Basic Account Holder Somebody Told Me Informative Somebody Told Me Informative Somebody Told Me Informative Somebody Told Me Informative Somebody Told Me Informative

Cagger since
    Aug 2009

That's what CAGicon's here for to help people tackle unjust situations.

Hopefully the next development will be a letter of apology from 02 together with confirmation that this has sorted once and for all and that Moorcroft have been told to close the file.

Cagger since
    Jun 2010
    I am in
    Mind yer own

Update as promised. Moorcr@p have now left a message on Mum's answerphone asking my dead father to ring them. I rang explaining he was deceased but was told they couldn't discuss anything with me as it was a 'data protection matter' and they needed to speak with the person concerned. Doh, dimwits! Mum was distressed at first but has decided that if they ring again to take babybear and jimbo's advice and give them the cemetary address.

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2008
    I am in
    Southsea
    Blog Entries

Well that is cause for a major complaint.
    OFT/TS/MP/PRESS/BBC Watchdog.
    OFT&TS Via http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/contact
    Local MP Via http://www.writetothem.com/
    The Press Via http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/article240522.ece
    BBC Watchdog http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/
    Credit Services Association (of which these fools are members) http://www.csaconsumers-uk.com/page/i-have-a-complaint

If they continue to ring, report them to your local Police station for harassment. P.S. they don't know how to spell data protection least of all understand what it entails, morons..

Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere!
    How to use Photobucket by Huggie41.
    HOW DO I START A NEW THREAD?

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Aug 2009

Absolutely. This's outrageous.

When you write to 02 I'd get them to investigate this has they'll no doubt have a department which liaises with DCAicon's and I'm sure they'd be interested in this astonishing ability to act with such insensitivity.

Utter disgrace.

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    May 2007
    I am in
    Wales
    Blog Entries

Awww I can't get into their website without a reference number Was going to see if they had a press officer and was going to tell them that I'm a journalist. They're no fun...

Follows
    Following

Premium Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    cerberusalert Highly authoritative cerberusalert Highly authoritative cerberusalert Highly authoritative cerberusalert Highly authoritative cerberusalert Highly authoritative cerberusalert Highly authoritative cerberusalert Highly authoritative cerberusalert Highly authoritative cerberusalert Highly authoritative cerberusalert Highly authoritative cerberusalert Highly authoritative cerberusalert's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2007
    I am in
    Muckle Flugga

Quote Originally Posted by babybear39 View Post
    Awww I can't get into their website without a reference number Was going to see if they had a press officer and was going to tell them that I'm a journalist. They're no fun...
    enquiries@moorgroup.com

http://www.moordebt.com/contact/enquire.asp

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT
    Follows
    Following

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    May 2007
    I am in
    Wales
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cerberusalert View Post
    Dare I ?

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder j_semple Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2009

Here's 2 people from Moorcr@p you can contact via email (Trust me these work as they emailed back when I refused to deal with them in writing)

paulahuddart@moorgroup.co m

jamesbrough@moorgroup.com

They are compliance officers. I would not phone them if they will only speak to somebody that's dead (Which is vile and nasty)

EDIT: Dunno why the space is in the first addy

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    May 2007
    I am in
    Wales
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by j_semple View Post
    Here's 2 people from Moorcr@p you can contact via email (Trust me these work as they emailed back when I refused to deal with them in writing)

paulahuddart@moorgroup.co m

jamesbrough@moorgroup.com

They are compliance officers. I would not phone them if they will only speak to somebody that's dead (Which is vile and nasty)

EDIT: Dunno why the space is in the first addy
    The site does the space thingy...

When I'm bored I might email them later

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder j_semple Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2009

Another thing I advise? When you do email them? ALWAYS request read receipts where possible and if you have to? Keep emailing. I did to they probably got fed up.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE