Car Insurance - help needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4945 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya folks new here.

I have a bit of a wierd one here, but need help.

My insurance ran out on the 14th Sep, I went online and renewed it with another company.

Everything seemed fine, they asked for my no claims proof I sent it.

On Tuesday, im driving to work, I get pulled over by the police about 500 yards from my work.

He gets out and tells me I am not insured, but i had recieved a letter that morning from my new insurer, i tell him this.

He looks at it, and the letter was thanking me for proof of no claims and also saying there was gap between my old cover ending, and my new one starting, i had set up new insurance with them to start on the 14th Oct. So basically I had filled in the wrong start date and was driving about without being insured.

The policeman said it was an obvious, genuine mistake, so said If i parked it in my works car park, and phoned by insurance straight away, he wasn't going to report me.

So off he went, took no details and handed me no ticket.

I thought nice bloke. (I actually think he was off duty or something, he was on his own)

SO.....

I phones my insurance and explains this to them and asked to change the start date of my insurance, they said no and that id have to go through a new qoute.

I explained that I was just about to start work, so asked if I could phone back on my break, they said that would be fine.

So 2 hours later I phoned back on my break.

The women cancelled the old one, went through the procedaure, and offered me a new deal, starting straight away.

I said ok.

She said hold on a minute sir, went away, come back and said that the company wasn't going to insure me (over ruled by someone), I asked why, and she mumbled something about not taking the offer of a new policy earlier on when I phoned in the first place.

So a few questions.

1. Does this mean ive now been "refused" insurance, which you are asked on every insurance website, meaning I can't get insured.

2. If it does, does anyone know where I can go to get insured now???

3. Will other companys simply not even qoute me now because i have been "refused" insurance.

4. Can I really have been refused insurance because I made a simple, genuine mistake, that I phoned up to tell them about??

Any help would be really appreciated.

Hiya folks new here.

I have a bit of a wierd one here, but need help.

My insurance ran out on the 14th Sep, I went online and renewed it with another company.

Everything seemed fine, they asked for my no claims proof I sent it.

On Tuesday, im driving to work, I get pulled over by the police about 500 yards from my work.

He gets out and tells me I am not insured, but i had recieved a letter that morning from my new insurer, i tell him this.

He looks at it, and the letter was thanking me for proof of no claims and also saying there was gap between my old cover ending, and my new one starting, i had set up new insurance with them to start on the 14th Oct. So basically I had filled in the wrong start date and was driving about without being insured.

The policeman said it was an obvious, genuine mistake, so said If i parked it in my works car park, and phoned by insurance straight away, he wasn't going to report me.

So off he went, took no details and handed me no ticket.

I thought nice bloke. (I actually think he was off duty or something, he was on his own)

SO.....

I phones my insurance and explains this to them and asked to change the start date of my insurance, they said no and that id have to go through a new qoute.

I explained that I was just about to start work, so asked if I could phone back on my break, they said that would be fine.

So 2 hours later I phoned back on my break.

The women cancelled the old one, went through the procedaure, and offered me a new deal, starting straight away.

I said ok.

She said hold on a minute sir, went away, come back and said that the company wasn't going to insure me (over ruled by someone), I asked why, and she mumbled something about not taking the offer of a new policy earlier on when I phoned in the first place.

So a few questions.

1. Does this mean ive now been "refused" insurance, which you are asked on every insurance website, meaning I can't get insured.

2. If it does, does anyone know where I can go to get insured now???

3. Will other companys simply not even qoute me now because i have been "refused" insurance.

4. Can I really have been refused insurance because I made a simple, genuine mistake, that I phoned up to tell them about??

Any help would be really appreciated.

Ok, my experiance with these is that when a policyholder inputs the wrong date one of two things can be done. The ins company can amend the date (dependant on what system they are using) or cancel and issue a new one, which they were prepared to do.

For them to then turn around after you have accepted a quote and then refuse because you didnt go through a quote earlier is not a reason to refuse. There has be to underwriting criteria.

Otherwise they would have to refuse everyone who calls up to change details or gets cuts off mid quote.

When you called did you mention the police stop? only reason I ask is that some companys will not insure if the customer mentions that they have been stopped and needs a certificate etc to release the car from the impound.

I would log a complaint with that company askiing why they will not insure you but were quite happy to for October.

Phone up and make a complaint if you want to sort it out with that company. I suspect the mention of the Police stop may have been the problem. The person you spoke to earlier may have added a comment about that and then the second person noticed this, without understanding the whole story.

You have not been refused Insurance. They have not put anything in writing to you to this effect. So you are free to arrange cover without mentioning this.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Yes I mentioned the police stop, but as I said, I wasn't ticketed, charged and neither did they take my car away.

Everything seemed fine with the new qoute, but it was all of a sudden bang, change of attitude.

They were also meant to refund the money I gave them as a deposit and send back my no claims bonus proof, and I have had neither.