style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4920 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have not been able to pay council Tax and they reckon we can live on £56 or so a week. so, no rebate either. Now they have sent summons and tell me that I do not need to be there as all the judge will ask is if I am liable for Council Tax and I will say Yes and that is it. He does not go into affordability or anything. My wife works and income is just above the threshold. My business has been very quiet for the last quarter.

I have been offered 3 options. Summons have already cost me £62 although I have been keeping them updated. I had advised them that I shall call at the end of month to make a proposal of payment but the beat me to summons by a week and now tell me that once it is issued they cannot do anything; not even change the date. I find that cunning because all they present to the judge is list of names; nice source of income (1000 names on the list and one stamp = £62000). All in the name of civilised democracy. Hang the poor man and flog until all pockets are empty and charge the other for his/her upkeep. Reminds of poster I saw where they have one man rowing the boat and 25 others flogging him to row harder while another boat being rowed by 26 men overtakes them.

1) Pay in full and don't have to go to court or

2) Pay outstanding amount and agree to pay rest in instalments and don't go to court

3) Pay in 6 monthly instalments and go to court.

Is it worth going to court or should I just accept option 3 as best of the worse and spend the day prospecting for new business?

Thanks and Regards, Shanidev

As they say, if you are in arrears at all then the judge can only take that into account, it either a yes or no and nothing else is or can be taken into consideration.

There is no point in going to court in that case, but the council does have a lot of discreation despite they not saying so. As soon as the liability order is issued, phone the council and they will make an arrangement to pay monthly.

And to agree with your (and mine) hatred of councils, the leader of your council will be on around £200,000 paid by 'our' council tax.

Thanks Conniff. I called them yesterday and they have agreed to us paying full amount plus summons and court costs (£100) by 6 monthly instalment. Don't know how benefit folks work - no account for our living expenses or other bills.

Benefit folks have still not replied but that is of no concern to CT dept even though it is same council. The arrangement is that I pay monthly and if I miss I will have bailiffs on me with added fee of £400. In my book this is ROBBERY. What happened to 'democracy' and 'civilised society'. Life of crime is very attractive unless you are good at politics in which case it's crime 'undercover':mad2:

Thanks Conniff. I called them yesterday and they have agreed to us paying full amount plus summons and court costs (£100) by 6 monthly instalment. Don't know how benefit folks work - no account for our living expenses or other bills.

Benefit folks have still not replied but that is of no concern to CT dept even though it is same council. The arrangement is that I pay monthly and if I miss I will have bailiffs on me with added fee of £400. In my book this is ROBBERY. What happened to 'democracy' and 'civilised society'. Life of crime is very attractive unless you are good at politics in which case it's crime 'undercover'http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/laugh.gif:mad2:

Thanks once again.

Benefit folks have still not replied but that is of no concern to CT dept even though it is same council. The arrangement is that I pay monthly and if I miss I will have bailiffs on me with added fee of £400. In my book this is ROBBERY. What happened to 'democracy' and 'civilised society'. Life of crime is very attractive unless you are good at politics in which case it's crime 'undercover'http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/laugh.gif:mad2:

Thanks once again.

Duplicate

I hope so otherwise you have a bad stutter :)

One thing to be warey of is that the fee comes out first, so if you should miss a payment later, the missed payment will be on the CT so they can then take further action which will probably make them very happy dreaming how you can't afford the beans to go on the kids toast.

One thing I would question are the fees being charged - for council tax a bailiff can only charge £24:50 for a first visit to levy where no levy takes place and £18:00 for a second visit where no levy takes place. They cannot charge you £400 unless they are stacking fees up and adding things like levy fees, attendance to remove fees and the like. And, for those fees to be valid they have to have levied on your property to a value that would cover not only the removal, storage and bailiffs fees but would also cover a decent chunk of the CT bill. Usually this is a car - but not if it is subject to a finance agreement or is a trade vehicle or motability vehicle.

Do not let a bailiff into your house, park your car away from home - a couple of streets if possible - and make sure there is nothing outside your home (even a flower pot or watering can) for them to levy and they have no power whatsoever!!

I would question whoever has told you those fees are what you will be charged because they are wrong.

One of the more knowledgeable people like Hallowitch and Ploddertom will be able to advise better than I but their threat of fees is laughable.

Feebee_71

Edited by Feebee_71
Added more info