Home contents insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4899 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently lost an item whilst travelling (value approx £250) that is covered on my home insurance.I contacted my insurer who took details of the claim and said they would require proof of purchase. Unfortunately i cannot provide a receipt.My policy states that they require receipts for any claim in excess of £500 , when i pointed this out to them they told me that "it doesnt state that we dont require receipts for an amount less than £500".We have now agreed that i can send a printout showing the debit card transaction when i bought this item.I have printed this and all it shows is an amount and date and doesnt state the retailer just that it was a debit card transaction.Is this likely to be sufficient as i feel that they are trying to be slippery. many thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

The key to this problem is what a reasonable person would reasonably retain.

A ridiculous example to illustrate - an insurer is well withion its rights to refuse to accept that a claim for a £2000 television bought last week if the policyholder cannot prove the purchase but it would be ridiculous to refuse to deal with a claim for a 50p pair of socks bought 18 months ago should not be paid if the policyholder had not kept the receipt.

You should be OK with the credit card receipt but if not post that fact on the forum and I will suggest a wording for a letter to the insurers