• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

ombudsman says no help about citi cards PPI reclaim - help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1863 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

update - rang fos, spoke to a nice chap who looked through my files and said that the judicial review did not change anything on my case, but had i thought about going after the underwriters ? i said i had asked for the name of Citi cards underwriters in 1998, ( 1 of many items of info i have not yet got from them ) but as yet still not got any more info from them, so i did not know who they were. He said he had a phone number inside Citi, and if i held he would ring for me, so info is -in 1998 sun life insurance were the underwriters of Citicards credit card. he has opened another complaint on my behalf, and sent them a letter saying they took payment from me on the Citicard credit card when they should'nt have been, and he said let's see what they come back with. so another avenue..

• 1 month later...

little update, got a letter from the underwriters, wanting info on the policy, filled letter in and sent back end of March - no reply as yet. 2nd update - Opus has moved/sold my account ( the 1 i placed in dispute in july 2011 & i have been making a £1.00 acknowledgement payment each month ) to 1sr Credit, ive sent a letter telling them the account in dispute, they cannot pursue etc etc, send account back to original creditor etc etc... so we'll see what follows.

Im assuming as there's a deadlock with Opus, they've decided to try to get this 1st Credit to chase me now, any one got ideas on why Opus did not send my account back to Citi Cards, as i told Opus, Citi really should not have sold it whilst all this was going on..

• 2 weeks later...

Another update - AXA saying they have not received the info i sent to them, ive spoken to a chap there and re submitted the info last week.

Opus rang home today - i don't usually speak to them, but they did not once say anything about the outstanding account, but about the letter i wrote 1st Credit saying it should not be sold on to them, they agree, and the account is back with Opus.

She also said would i put all the info about the trying to re-claim of the ppi in a letter to them ( Opus ) as they want to sort this out, which i said i would catalogue all the letters etc, and send it to her. - Now my question to you guys is - is this a tactic on Opus's part that i should be wary of, i.e - am i shooting myself in the foot in ANY way by doing this, or is this a good thing, i.e - can Opus pay the ppi back instead of Citi if they have taken the account from Citi ??

could you have a think and give me some advice please on if i should go down this route with Opus ??

thank you in advance

Hi ims, thank for getting back to me ,

i was concerned as in post 36 on here i was told Citi was my target for reclaiming the ppi even then i was with Opus,,

but it now looks if Opus is asking for info it might be them who are now responsible to sort out Citi's original customers who are trying to reclaim ppi ?

i will then put together a breakdown of whats gone on with my claim, and post it to Opus, and lets see.

Hi

Yes, Citi would be your target and, depending on the takeover scenario should pass your claim on to Opus.

However, as Opus have shown an interest themselves then there is no harm in getting them involved too.

ims

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,update - letter from Opus - * hightlights*

we have finished our investigation on your complaint,

Opus does not sell cardholder repayment protection,

but what follows is a summary of our investigation of your complaint which relates to an action that took place while your account was serviced by Citi.

our understanding of your complaint-

the CRP was applied to your account following your application on 24/02/1998

the application process did not require you to take CRP as a condition of acceptance.

the application form did requir you to positively confirm that you wish to purchase the policy.

the application pack that you were provided gave full conditions of the T & C'S,and it was recommended you read all insurance info carefully,

and call if you had questions before submitting your application. -

( this is incorrect- there was nothing to read on the app.form about T&C'S of any insurance, just a box to 'tick' either way )

this document also detailed your policy cancellation rights, and confirmed the a full refund of any premiums applied to your account would be made if you cancelled the policy within 30 days.

we can confirm you applied for the insurance by selecting the product on the application form ( funny that - how can Opus confirm it when Citi have never produced it ? )

as a result, no advise was givenby an agent and that Citi were therefore acting on instructions provided by you on your application form.

it is not unreasonable to expect customers to read the policy info provided when they have opted for the product of their own volition.

on processing the application you would have received a further copy of the T&C'S of the policy,

which detailed all the exclusions ans limitations of the policy.

you also had 30 day period in which you could review all the policy docs, and if unhappy you could cancel with no charge.

Citi sales process meant that you were presented with all relevant info in the application pack,

ans you subsequently chose to purchase the policy whilst appling for the card.

Citi operated on a non-advised basis, however you were at liberty to contact Citi, or subsequently Opus at any time to query the policy.

our decision

we are sorry to inform you on this occasion we are unable to uphold your complaint as our investigation shows you were given the option to accept or decline the policy.

you were also given all the insurance docs to enable you to make an informed decision about whether or not to purchase the policy,and therefore your complaint has been closed.

you have 6 months to refer to FOS,

a copy of their leaflet is enclosed,and although you have the right to refer your complaint to FOS,

we are aware that because CRP was added to your account outside the FO jurisdiction they may be unable to investigate your complaint.

so, any thoughts anyone ?

It seems Opus are just re-trashing the same old tosh Citi came out with.

do i bother with another letter to Opus,

maybe saying 'if you say i ticked the ''yes please i want the total [problem] insurance'' on the application form, as your letter suggests,

SHOW ME this application form, as ive been trying to get a copy of it since 2010 !

or do i not bother,

Opus will now (most likely ) start trying to get me to pay more money to them,

as as far as they are concerned they have investigated this,

so i have no reason to be in dispute with the account,

even though IM still in dispute over this whole fiasco .

Any thought would be greatly received

R xx

i'd simply write back stating you did not tick the PPI box

please show me a copy of the form i signed with the box for PPI ticked.

the rest is just std faff they all write to PPI claimants.dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

when they have not been focussed yes

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 6 months later...

Hi Rowan et al

I've been reading your threads from the last couple of years with great interest as

since May 2012 I've been pursuing OPUS for repayment of my CRP from the Citi Credit Card I had from Feb 2001.

I got exactly the same written response from OPUS as you did (i.e. saying that you had been sent all documents, you were requested to positively confirm that you wanted CRP etc etc).

I've asked three times in writing for a copy of my original application & they just ignore it and have sent me their 'final decision' that they are not upholding my complaint.

I've gone to the FOS & have been told by them that because Citi weren't regulated by them until Dec 2001 they can't pursue

but that I should try to find out who the insurance underwriters were.

I think my Card was an Associates Card & have called OPUS who at first refused to give me the details of the underwriters on the phone.

When I pushed & said FOS told me that they had to give me the name they just said 'it's Cumberland' but wouldn't give any other details.

Have you heard of Cumberland & what stage are you at with your claim?

Did you have to take court action in the end or is it all still ongoing?

I've successfully retrieved all my PPI from MBNA and Halifax and have a further claim pending with Monument who have done a final offer of a trifling amount

& I now have FOS managing this for me.

But OPUS are the problem

- I'd really welcome your response to find out how you've got on because your case is almost identical to my own & I'm losing the will to live!

Anyone else who has any guidance on how to find out more about Cumberland please let me know!

FOS told me that once I get the underwriters details & can provide it to them they'll start an 'engagement' with them about my case to see if they can prove mis-selling,

but I'm a little confused 'cos I've googled & it's all a bit vague as to whether the FOS even have any jurisdiction over Cumberland or not

and am not even convinced that Cumberland are the underwriters.

Any help at all would be most appreciated.

you'll get lost posting here the thread is very old

dx

and they

Hi LeighK

even though the thread is old, it is still ongoing !

i have never got the items i asked for from either Citi Cards or Opus,

i placed the account in dispute 2 years ago when it moved to Opus,

but i still did not get anything but letters saying they had sent everything they need to.

I have not sent any payment to them, and at the mo it's stalemate, a

s what i owe is a little less than what they owe me in re-payment, so nothing is happening.

I tried the underwriters route, but they also say it is nothing to do with them,

their reply has been sent back to F.O who i re-contacted when i started down the underwriter route, and they are having a look at that, but as you know that can be ages.

I did not/ have not, gone down the court route, i know many of the guys on here have, but i don't think im strong enough to do it.

so thats where it stands at the mo.

r

Hello Rowan,

I am trawling through all the Citi/Opus/Threads and came across yours.

I went through the Ombudsman to lodge my PPI claim with “Citi”. They passed it onto Opus and I have a letter from Opus stating if anything is sent to Citi it will not be dealt with and I need to deal with them. Please read my thread to see the situation with mine as I do not wish to hijack your post.

I have read another thread where a person was not getting anywhere with Opus and went to Citi and was told that they had the information they wanted. So I am wondering if in your situation and taking the belt and braces approach, to go to both of them and state you want the information. Try and be assertive with them do not accept a NO for an answer.

In your situation, I appreciate that you are not strong enough to go through the court route and can relate to that to an extent. I used to attend County Courts on a daily basis to help others but the thought of having of to deal with my own issues at Court; even I am finding it daunting.

The advice I would give you is that the District Judges mainly sit in “Chambers”, an office with a desk and everyone sits around that. Most of the Judges will try and unravel the issues if they are not clear and will ask questions to try and understand your grievance. I personally would file and serve witness statements with your claim or a simpler way if you do not want to do a witness statement is to do a chronology of the events and list them down, the dates that things were sent, the events and what happened. I would also provide proofs of things, letters sent proofs of posting and other things relevant to your claim, and this will be your evidence. I would lodge this with your application and this should minimise the number of questions that the Judge might have so you will have to speak less in the Court/Chambers.

I see your issues have been going on for sometime, I would try and take the bull by the horns and deal with them now rather than leaving them any longer. I have decided to take that stance and want to deal with my claims.

I think someone else has already stated to you before, FOCUS and PREPARE and READ, PREP, PREPARE AND PREPARE.

I am sure there are others on here more qualified to give you advice on here and apologise if I have overstepped the mark but hope that my post helps you in someway.

I used to dread the post coming in but now I am waiting for it and hoping it’s a response to a SAR or something!!

Anyway . . . . Good Luck!

Hello PenaltiesGalore

thanks for the reply, and you have not at all overstepped !

i have spoken to both Citi ( when they owed the debt ) and they gave their final response, so i went to F.O, but as the account was opened in 1998, Citi said the F.O could not represent on my behalf, as Citi were not under the F.O rules in 1998 ( started 2001 )

When Opus bought the account i went through the whole thing again, but they stuck by the '' you signed for card protection'' and that was their final say - i responded by '' show me where i signed then'' - nothing back from that.

The thing is, i owe a substantial amount still on this account, and if they re-pay me the money i would give it back to clear the debt, so im wondering if thats why opus has not done anything else, as i put the account in dispute in 2010, and apart from the odd letter, i have not heard anything

So it seems a stalemate position, they have not supplied the cca or the original form that they say i signed asking for card protection, i have not made a payment due to this for a long time...

i suppose the reason i have not 'taken it by the horns,' is i know if i go the court route way, and if i win, then whatever i win will go to them as i owe them still, so it's just been easier not to deal with it im afraid.

Thank you for taking the time to go through things, and for the support, but unless Opus start up threatening for money, i am just going to leave it, i know this response is not what a lot of the guys on here want to hear, but i feel at the mo its my best course.

I have pushed with several of my other 'card protection' claims, and won 2 of them, crapquest being a huge amount ( which, as i had defaulted they did not pay me, but nearly paid off the debt )

and 2 are with the F.O still.

regards

R

• 3 months later...

Hello again

Al little update -

The F.O came back to me saying that Citi 'cannot remember' who their underwriters were in 1998, and as it is so long ago, they cannot be made to trawl through filed old paperwork to give an answer.

The F.O say if I could find anything saying who the underwriters were at that time, then they will continue to try on my behalf, if not, then nothing they can do further, ihave looked through my old statements right back to 1998, but no mention of who it could have been.

I get monthly credit file updates from Noodle, and just last month the debt has appeared on my file, though I have had nothing else from Opus.

regards R

• 1 year later...

Hi there..

I know its a bit late in the day with this post (sorry)

I wondered if there had been any positive stories/developments with the Citi ppi saga!! from anyone?

I have been a victim of the above..

.try not to bore you!

(I keep diaries going back to 80s so have a fair amount of detail especially my previous financial activities)

Applied for the Associates credit card in April 2000 it seems they had included ppi..

I wrote to them in the May2000 to cancel the ppi.

I dont have a record of them getting back to me!

I sadly dont have any old Associates statements but do have Citi statements from around 2004.

Meanwhile in May/June 2003 Associates became Citi..

according to my notes Associates business was automatically transferred to the Citi card.

I have absolutely no detail/knowledge of applying for the Citi card.

The years following I found the ppi on all statements from Citi,

I assumed it was a company requirement so took it no further.

Coming forward to 2012/13 when the nationwide mis sold ppi came to light,

made the recommended requests to Citi by post and phone.

This went on for many weeks,

Citi suggested they couldn't help me and passed me over to Opus

who by now had taken over from Citi in 2010.

Opus told me that I would have ticked the ppi box on the Citi card application form!!!..

.several letters back and forth to Opus went nowhere.

I wrote to the FOS July 2013 who suggested I'd been sold the Citi ppi before Jan 2005

and insurance regulations changed after that date!!.

. I was by now becoming very tired and didn't have time or inclination to go further.

Thats were I am..

Thanks for your time

Best Regards to all

Bern:)

for anyones information reading this thread, The Associates Cards ins underwriters were Cumberland Life

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

people need to investigate GISC and ABI codes

just because the fos cant enforce them

it doesn't mean they can ge away from the codes [citi]

and they