Help !!!! Insurance firm refusing to pay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4950 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Guys, we just found ourselves in problem with the insurance firm. The story is we bought a Glass table from Harveys in April 2008 and with it bought the insurance too for 5 yrs (please see the attached cert front and back). Nearly 2 wks a go I was trying to cover the hole in the ceiling and by doing so the lader wobbled and during this the hamer dropped on the table which chipped the glass size of 10 pence and few very small cracks around it. I phoned the Insurance firm (Leather Master) and explained the incident. They arranged for the technician to visit on 23rd Sept. On 22nd Sept. while i was out, my wife was at home with our 2yr old son. My wife was busy in kitchen and my son somehow managed to pull out adjustable spanner and hit on the glass table which caused the glass into pieces. Again I reported to insurance firm (Leather Master). Their technician came on 23rd Sept. and asked me the cause of glass break. I told him the whole lot and the technician put the report as Accidental Damage.

Today I received a letter from Leather Master stating they are refusing to go ahead with claim because in their policy (Terms & Conditions) it states a damage caused by childern is not covered and is excluded. I read the T&C and did not find any statement in Exclusions regarding children. I phoned the insurance firm and they pointed out under "Exclusions"

(para 3.3) 'any damage, soiling or staining caused'

(sub Para) 'to the insured item(s) arising from negligence by you'

I told the leather master operator that none of the statements imply to children but only to the policy holder. That stupid operator said that you people neglected your child and due to this negligence the claim is refused. I am fuming with her statement and want to take them to court, but unfortunately my financial situations dont allow me to, plus same reason I can not afford solicitor's fee as I am in a part time job.

I would be greatful for and advice and help by you guys.

Insurance Cert-Front1.jpg

Insurance Cert-Back1.jpg

You could go to the FOS about Leather Master declining the claim, but you would need to write to them with a complaint first, saying that this is what you intend to do. Ask them for their final response in writing.

Have you spoken to your Home Insurers?

Edited by unclebulgaria67

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

You could go to the FOS about Leather Master declining the claim, but you would need to write to them with a complaint first, saying that this is what you intend to do. Ask them for their final response in writing.

Have you spoken to our Home Insurers?

Thank you unclebulgaria, No i have not spoken or asked for help from Home Insurers. I tried to look for category Home Insurers but could not find it. Any chance of letting me know under what category I would find it. Thanks

Meant have you spoken to your Home Insurance company. Have you got accidental damage cover on your Contents Insurance. If you have it would depend on the excess and future premium increases as to whether it was worth it or not.

Suggest that you make a complaint to Leather Master in writing by recorded delivery and if they won't budge go to the FOS. Sometimes if an Insurers knows you will go to the FOS, they will often settle. If a policyholder goes to the FOS, the Insurers gets charged a £500 case fee and it costs the policyholder nothing.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread