Working 5 days a week full time, what is my Holiday entitlement?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4941 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey all,

1st post in the employment section so hello!

Hopefully this will be an easy question to answer for one of you wonderful people, it's bugging me now and I'd like some help.

I work a 5 day week mon to fri full time, working 37.5 hours, currently my company gives its employees 28 days holiday including bank holidays, so 23 paid holidays and the other 5 are bank hols.

A friend of mine who works for the same company, the union man we call him lol! as he is in the GMB tells me he was looking on an employment law site and it states if you work 5 days a week your entitlement should be 28 days paid holiday and then the bank holidays on top of that so in total 33 days holiday a year.

Could anybody confirm or disprove this for me as i'd like to know if im getting screwed out of 5 days holiday and if so point me to a source of this information.

thanks guys and gals

steve

Here you go, this is what directgov says. I hope that helps you.

The basics of holiday rights

There is a minimum right to paid holiday, but your employer may offer more than this. The main things you should know about holiday rights are that:

• you are entitled to a minimum of 5.6 weeks paid annual leave (28 days for someone working five days a week)
  • part-time workers are entitled to the same level of holiday pro rata (so 5.6 times your usual working week, eg 22.4 days for someone working four days a week)
  • you start building up holiday as soon as you start work
  • your employer can control when you take your holiday
  • you get paid your normal pay for your holiday
  • when you finish a job, you get paid for any holiday you have not taken
  • bank and public holidays can be included in your minimum entitlement
  • you continue to be entitled to your holiday leave throughout your ordinary and additional maternity leave and paternity and adoption leave

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

If the bank holidays are in addition to the 28 days then that would be a contractual entitlement rather than a legal one. As stated above, the statutory minimum is 28 days including Bank Holidays.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!