Council want to take me to court

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, here's the situation.

My council tax is usually paid monthly. In April my partner gave birth to a baby girl and finances for that month were extremely tight, after all the DD's that came out of my account I could not afford to make payment on my council tax. I will take responsibility and say I did not call them to inform them. However, since then I have been making double payments on the outstanding amount to try and clear it quicker, mainly so that come Xmas it's paid for the year. I only have £256.22 left to pay for the tax year 2010-2011 theoretically meaning I have until the end of march 2011 to pay?

Anyway last month I was taken I'll and unable to work for two weeks which meant no work no pay. I therefore assuming I still have 7 months to pay 256.22 I missed the payment. They have now sent me a letter saying unless I pay the balance in full within 10 days they will be taking me to court for non-payment. Are they able to do this considering I am several months in front? Am I wrong in thinking that as long as they payment is made within that tax year I can't possibly be in default?

the monthly payments are a local arrangement.

if you miss some, then they are quite within their rights to demand the whole outstanding balance.

typically the 'arrangement, runs until March, but that dealine is only effective whilst you 'agree' to the agreement.

what you have basically, is a std letter of their std prectice when this situation arises.

call them up and make a new a arrangement

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

sorry getting confused....

what do you mean by 7 months in front....?

you have a set amount to pay each month..and you are 7mts ahead of the payments of that schedule that they listed on the ctax doc in march/april??

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes, the monthly payments they requested are 102.10 per month. I pay 210.00 every month to clear the amount as quick as I can. Usually I pay it over 6 months instead of 12. While making these payments I missed 1 of my 210.00 but if u calculate 102.10 per month the outstandinamount would mean I've paid instalments until jan 2011 so far

Unfortunately the Council computer cannot understand what you are doing and because you have "missed" a payment has produced what you have now. You will need to contact them to sort this out otherwise they will go ahead for a Liability Order. Probably best done in person. Any hassles get in touch with your loacal Councillor.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just to add for info:

Your entire balance of council tax is due on the 1 April every year. However, because it would extremely unreasonable to expect people to pay that all in one go you are given monthly instalments from April to Jan. If you miss the payment deadline more than 2/3 times in a year they begin recovery action and you lose the right to pay by instalments meaning your entire balance becomes due immediately.

If they have issued a summons against you then you can either pay it all in full to avoid a liability order (and more costs), or let it go to court where they obtain a liability order and then make an arrangement with them to pay it off.