Help needed ref car insurers investiging my claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4974 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I need some advice please. I was recently involved in an accident which saw my car being written off. I phoned the insurers and gave them the details and everything was fine until i received a call 2 weeks later telling me im being investigated for fraud. The reason for this apparently was that someone told them i was using the car for business, when i was on a day off from work. The guy on the phone was very rude and demanded I prove i was not at work and also wanted the name and address of the person I was on the way to see when the accident happened.

I have forwarded details from my employer confirming I was not at work (its a company car, which incidentally is actually covered for business use), but the person I was going to see doesn't want to get involved. I have already proved to the insurers via letter from my employer I was not working but now cannot provide proof of where i was headed. I have sent them a letter of complaint about the tone of their phone call, and the interrogation techniques used and still await a reply.

My question is, its my word against the insurers, my signed police statement only shows the details of the accident, not about where I was going, what more can they do, and how else can I prove I was not using the car outside its insured limitations?

Please help

The reason for this apparently was that someone told them i was using the car for business, when i was on a day off from work. The guy on the phone was very rude and demanded I prove i was not at work and also wanted the name and address of the person I was on the way to see when the accident happened.

I have forwarded details from my employer confirming I was not at work (its a company car, which incidentally is actually covered for business use), but the person I was going to see doesn't want to get involved.

Sounds a bit daft to me. Why would someone comment on your usage of the vehicle to the Insurers? If it is a company car used for business and you have use of it when not working, then I do not think it is relevant to the Insurers who you were visiting.

Is there any restriction noted on the Insurance about the usage of the car? Have you given the Insurers any information which you know is inaccurate in any way? If not, what are the Insurers playing at.

If anyone from the Insurers have accussed you of fraud, you should contact a solicitor, with a view to taking legal proceedings against them.

In fact that it what I would do, consult a solicitor.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi, thanks for your reply. There is a clause in the insurance that says I'm not allowed to use the vehicle for selling purposes, and during the guys interrogation he asked me what I used the car for when I visited customers, I made him aware of the fact that the car is never used as a selling tool. I'm sure that was the avenue he was looking to go down.

I've given the insurers 5 working days to acknowldege receipt of my letter and to detail their plans so if i've not had a response by Tuesday, I will contact a solicitor and see where that takes me.

If this is a company car, why is it your problem rather than your employers?

Is the suggestion that you were using your car for moonlighting rather than for your employers business?

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.