Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder Helen2264 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Apr 2008

Default IB50 confused

Today I sent my filled in IB50 form by first class recorded delivery which is due to reach the dwp by 8th sept 2010 also today I received a lettericon from Atos Origin regarding a medical I was told to ring them and agree a date when I can attend the medical for Incapacity Benefit the confusion I am in receipt of Income Support and not IB. I rang Atos and told them that I've only today sent my IB50 form and why I am asked to ring for a medical the chap that answer the phone went deathly quiet twice I've had to ask him if he was still on the phone he then said I have to go for a medical otherwise my benefit would stop I told him that I will speak to the dwp on monday about why I am being asked to attend a medical for Incapacity Benefit when I am receiving IS and that I was confused again the chap went quiet and only for him to tell me ok then you may ring the dwp and speak to them very strange when I got the IB50 form from Atos they gave me a week to send it to them and told me if I don't my benefit would stop I then rang the dwp they gave me a month to fill in the form.

I shall ring the dwp on monday and see what they say I already know I will be ask to go for a medical because of the IB50 form but I didn't expect to have been asked to go for a medical now.

Is this something new go for a medical before the IB50 form have been received can someone lighten me on this.

Many Thanks

Basic Account Holder loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger's Avatar

Cagger since : Jan 2008

Default Re: IB50 confused

Hi Helen, you should complain to ATOS.
    Here's some good advice c/o Mike Bach ( http://www.whywaitforever.com/dwpatos.html )
    His brilliant website just gets better and better (unlike poor old Mike to whom ATOS caused endless suffering)

You can email Atos Healthcare Customer Relations (customer-relations@atoshealthcare. com).
    I never use the phone as there is no paper trail that may be used in any future legal action in the High Court. I have used this email address for changing appointments, complaints, appeals etc. I do sent a first class letter each time.
    It is very likely that you will receive an email reply which contains a phrase such as: "I am afraid the Customer Relations Team are unable to cancel an appointment on your behalf...". For a firm that boasts IT skills it is very reluctant to rely on its own IT. Maybe this is a sales opportunity for one of the other big five IT services firms in Europe to sell a computer scheduling application to Atos Healthcare.
    You can then email them again:
    "I would like to formally complain that you have taken no action on my request in my email dated .... to cancel the appointment scheduled for ... In line with your "Caring About Customer Service" I expect within "2 working days" a letter acknowledging my complaint and a full response to my complaint within 20 working days. Please ensure my allowances are paid in full while this matter is being considered and ensure that no further appointments are scheduled."
    It is likely that you will not receive a reply so after two days email again:
    "I would like to formally complain that ....".
    You will get the appointment letter to phone and another one which sets the appointment date and time and perhaps another one and perhaps another one. Complain as above to each one.
    First you will be dealt with by a Customer Relations Manager. Eventually you request your complaint to be dealt with by "The Independent Tier". This is refused.
    You will then be dealt with by the Team Leader, Customer Relations who will always claim there are new matters to be reviewed and as such it is too early for the matter to be reviewed by "The Independent Tier". Eventually you request your complaint to be dealt with by "The Independent Tier". This is repeatedly refused.
    Remember you are not allowed to complain through the DWP procedure and a legally appointed tribunal until you have exhausted the Atos Healthcare complaints procedure or die in the attempt.
    You will then be dealt with by the Senior Medical Advisor. This is as far as I have got so far (it is coming up to six months).... Now at the end of November 2009, at long last, I have received my medical report. Use the link at the top of this page to read the report. You can judge for yourself whether the DWP or Atos Healthcare had something to hide. I believe it was the personal intervention of the Secretary of State that allowed my medical report to be released to me.
    Regards, Paul.

P.S. You are allowed 4 weeks to return the IB50 (or ESA50). That's the law. The ATOSsers seem to think that they are a law unto themselves.

Follows
    Following

P.S. You are allowed 4 weeks to return the IB50 (or ESA50). That's the law. The ATOSsers seem to think that they are a law unto themselves.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Paul for your reply and the link yes it is a brilliant website. I can assure you I will not let Atos get their way I've already suffered when they refused me dla twice over I don't think they've even looked at my form when I had the medical the lady told me it would be the dwp that would make the decision and when I receive the failed letter they told me it was the lady at the medical that has made the decision I was not well at all both times to fight them I've still kept all my paper works from last year this time round I will fight.

I was wondering the chap at Atos seems nervous perhaps they are worrying that people no longer worry about them anymore I certainly don't because they are acting as if they are the DWP and it is them that are paying the benefits to claimant. I know that you are allowed 4 weeks that's why I rang the dwp and not Atos. Atos is just a software company and other things that they do but they have nothing to do with regards to Welfares I intend to find as much as I can about Atos and when I have to appeal I shall then ask the Panel at the appeal in what ground does Atos involves in dealing with sick people.

take care

Basic Account Holder doktorjohn Novitiate doktorjohn's Avatar

Cagger since : Mar 2010

The way I see it Helen is that you must be on IB now. The fact that it's Income Support just means you didn't qualify for "normal" IB because of a lack of NI contributions. I was on IB but paid by way of IS until my "medical".

As far as Atos go I'm afraid they do have the contract with the DWP to ruin our lives. The decisions are first made by Atos and finalized by the DWP so they both have a hand in our downfall.

dj

Basic Account Holder loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger's Avatar

Cagger since : Jan 2008

Quite right again dj,
    As far as Atos go I'm afraid they do have the contract with the DWP to ruin our lives. The decisions are first made by Atos and finalized by the DWP so they both have a hand in our downfall.
    The following news item from 2005 ( UnumProvident appoints new Company Medical Officer ) gives an indication that the whole system is a dubious merry-go-round providing the "jolly boys" with high paid jobs and profits for their revolving door employers. I say this because it's becoming hard to distinguish where DWP ends and ATOS begins, and vice versa, then throw in UNUM who were the main adviser in setting up ESA and the WCA, and, they were instrumental in 2005 getting ATOS the DWP medical advisor contract worth 500 million over 7 years, I expect a hard fight ahead of us because we are dealing with a self-interested private sector in cahoots with a government (and the previous one) with an agenda to cut welfare spending for political and financial reasons.

This article from 2008 ( ME Patients in a Corporate-Skewed Drift Net ) is rather good even though the victims are a different sub-group, the info applies to all ill and disabled on benefits because it shows how business and government are together redefining "incapacity" and excluding expert medical opinion to cut costs and make profits and advantage at the expense of the disabled by saying almost everyone can work.
    Look out for the name Mansel Aylward, for it was he and David Freud who we have to "thank" (I don't think so) for ESA. And who's in charge of the Cardiff institute which produced the "work is good for mental health" research study which HMG keep trotting out in their press releases? - none other than Mansel Aylward, and who sponsors his academic dept? - UNUM of course. You couldn't make it up!
    Pass me the sick-bag.

Best regards, Paul.

Follows
    Following

[QUOTE=doktorjohn;3113403]The way I see it Helen is that you must be on IB now. The fact that it's Income Support just means you didn't qualify for "normal" IB because of a lack of NI contributions. I was on IB but paid by way of IS until my "medical".

I am still in the infancy with regards to benefits though I have claimed for 5 years. Perhaps when I claimed through ill health at the time I should have claimed for IB because I went back to work in 1998 after my 2nd was born and stopped 2005 with my doctor's advice and being a lone parent I assumed I needed to claim Income Support be it that length of time working should have allowed me to claim IB I did tell the DWP my reasons for claiming Income Support and they've actually put on their system my circumstances alas! no one at the DWP told me that I should be claiming IB instead. I am learning something new everyday about the benefit systems.

No quite so by law as our human rights they are not allowed. I believe there are complaints department within Atos as I found out yesterday and of course it's like climbing a slippery slope but one can get to the top with strength and determinations but I do understand when you are ill is not quite easy as that. I have already been told by my Job Centre Advisor of the going on with the new young Recruits at Atos and the DWP dept.

Quote Originally Posted by loan_ranger View Post
    Quite right again dj, The following news item from 2005 ( UnumProvident appoints new Company Medical Officer ) gives an indication that the whole system is a dubious merry-go-round providing the "jolly boys" with high paid jobs and profits for their revolving door employers. I say this because it's becoming hard to distinguish where DWP ends and ATOS begins, and vice versa, then throw in UNUM who were the main adviser in setting up ESA and the WCA, and, they were instrumental in 2005 getting ATOS the DWP medical advisor contract worth 500 million over 7 years, I expect a hard fight ahead of us because we are dealing with a self-interested private sector in cahoots with a government (and the previous one) with an agenda to cut welfare spending for political and financial reasons.

This article from 2008 ( ME Patients in a Corporate-Skewed Drift Net ) is rather good even though the victims are a different sub-group, the info applies to all ill and disabled on benefits because it shows how business and government are together redefining "incapacity" and excluding expert medical opinion to cut costs and make profits and advantage at the expense of the disabled by saying almost everyone can work.
    Look out for the name Mansel Aylward, for it was he and David Freud who we have to "thank" (I don't think so) for ESA. And who's in charge of the Cardiff institute which produced the "work is good for mental health" research study which HMG keep trotting out in their press releases? - none other than Mansel Aylward, and who sponsors his academic dept? - UNUM of course. You couldn't make it up!
    Pass me the sick-bag.

Best regards, Paul.
    Where there is a willicon there is a way.

Basic Account Holder smithy 1 Novitiate

Cagger since : Feb 2011

hi everyone im new and need advice . im due a review for incapacity benefit aroun end of march , im told theresa backlog and it might be a while after that date . im confused as i revieve incapacity and no mention of migration to esa will i be sent a ib50 or a esa 50 ?. i thought the man from dwp said it would be a ib50 but now im worrying and cant cope , if anyone could help id be so gratefull . many thanks x

Quote Originally Posted by smithy 1 View Post
    hi everyone im new and need advice . im due a review for incapacity benefit aroun end of march , im told theresa backlog and it might be a while after that date . im confused as i revieve incapacity and no mention of migration to esa will i be sent a ib50 or a esa 50 ?. i thought the man from dwp said it would be a ib50 but now im worrying and cant cope , if anyone could help id be so gratefull . many thanks x
    I can understand your confusion I am receiving Income Support under ill health but I was sent an IB50 form to fill in that was last year I rang the dwp and told them that I am not receiving IB but they told me it's the form they are using for their medical test. I am due for a review in March this year also perhaps it might be the same IB50 form, I cannot understand why you are worrying yourself sick would it make any difference whether it's an IB50 form or ESA50 the main priority is to pass your medical I assume you'll be ask to go for a medical when you receive your form.

Others can help more about the esa but there was rumours on tv that there might be a new benefit system altogether just one type of benefit that everyone will received the dwp is making do without all different type of benefits.

Take care and please don't worry yourself.

Basic Account Holder doktorjohn Novitiate doktorjohn's Avatar

Cagger since : Mar 2010

I can understand why you would worry smithy 1, ESA is harder to get.

It's a good question because we should be migrated from March (me included) and I'd be interested to know if they send you an ESA50 or an IB50.

Which ever one it is, we are here to help.

My guess is that they will leave you alone until they are ready to send you an ESA50.

- dj

Benefits rules are complex, and although I do try to inform and support people, I may get it wrong because the rules apply to individual claimants and their particular circumstances.
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder satire Novitiate

Cagger since : Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by doktorjohn View Post
    I can understand why you would worry smithy 1, ESA is harder to get.

It's a good question because we should be migrated from March (me included) and I'd be interested to know if they send you an ESA50 or an IB50.

Which ever one it is, we are here to help.

My guess is that they will leave you alone until they are ready to send you an ESA50.

- dj
    I am confused. Why is ESA harder to get??

Surely you are either unfit for any type of work OR can work.

If the poster is genuinely ill and has no work capabilities (including putting letters in envelopes at home as a job), then he/she will pass.

For people to worry about failing ESA does make me think that they may just be pushing their luck a little and really are able to carry out some type of work activity yet choose not to.

Site Team honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13's Avatar

Cagger since : Nov 2009

Quote Originally Posted by satire View Post
    I am confused. Why is ESA harder to get??

Surely you are either unfit for any type of work OR can work.

If the poster is genuinely ill and has no work capabilities (including putting letters in envelopes at home as a job), then he/she will pass.

For people to worry about failing ESA does make me think that they may just be pushing their luck a little and really are able to carry out some type of work activity yet choose not to.
    That's not a very helpful attitude, satire. I can't remember if you've claimed benefit, but I have and it's not an easy place to be. Having been around the forum for over a year, I feel that the vast majority of people who come here for help are genuine.

I can't tell you the nitty gritty, but I think it's recognised that the Atos test for ESA is more stringent than the one for IB. I hope one of our experts will know more than me.

My best, HB

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Follows
    Following

thanks doktorjohn will let you know the outcome although i have been told there is a backlog regarding medicals .

unless your in that postion satire your comment shouldnt assume it will go ok . ive read many articles about genuinely ill people like myself and many others not passing medicals then having to go through a appeal process.

Basic Account Holder satire Novitiate

Cagger since : Jan 2011

I know all about the ATOS assessments. I failed mine, not because I am not ill or disabled but because I expected them to contact my GP/consultant and didn't bother to complete the ESA50.
    As soon as they saw the evidence I had at the reconsideration stage, I was put into the Support Group and am re-assessed every 3 months.

I never worried about it as my failing was down to me not the assessment. If I had done what I was told to do on the form there would have been no problems. So it was my fault entirely.

On my medical report they sent to the DWP, they stated that 'Claimant is very obnoxious, sarcastic and complained about the assessment..........he asked if I had contacted his consultants..........Clai mant is very unco-operative and makes the assessment difficult. He purposely took additional medication throughout the assessment.'

Follows
    Following

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details