Kafka is giggling in the wings.....Business Rates

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4969 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Okay, follow me here if you will.

Unit 1 and Unit 2, not connected units but previously let under a single lease and BR applied en bloc. Muggins rents Unit 1 from 07/09 and repeatedly rejects silly BR bills insisting I owe for both. Muggins properly registers address of Unit 1, the net effect being that Unit 1 and Unit 2 have different addresses and postcodes as a consequence of quite different access arrangements. Valuation Office finally does a revaluation, separating the units for BR purposes and VO and Council are given correct and distinct address for Unit 1.

Proper BR demand is requested for 09/10 but no paperwork appears - six months on STILL no paperwork and no notification for 10/11. However, yesterday, a loud knock at the side door from a Bailiff with a warrant for entry - which he then forced.

Now the funny bit - but I'm not bluddy laughing. Council had not changed address so paperwork going to a who-knows-where, but certainly not to me. Checked with neighbours - they ain't got it and the Council are adamant that nowt's been returned to them. Meanwhile the Council insist this is all correct because they have acted upon the address help upon the VO database so will not withdraw the Bailiff.

Now the subject of a "walking posession" and a real risk of ceasing trading.

Thoughts anyone?

I have requested all docs from them but all that arrived was a (seemingly) correct bill for 10/11 and the crazy bill for 09/10 that demands for both units. Will explore the set aside, thanks - didn't know you could do that in a MC.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, can we move this to the Bailiffs forum? Got a few pressing Qs.

Council have been paid up to date but insist on continuing Bailiff action as liabilty is for the full year - therefore they have notified the Bailiff of the revised amount and he can carry on.

Fees are suspect and breakdown has been requested but might take "48 hours" to arrive.

Bailiff seems to be correctly certificated at the court but not under any employer. The Council have confirmed that Bailiffs should be employees so, if he's a "hired hand" that might be an oops.

Only paperwork seen by me is the two demands - other docs were sent to the address I have just vacated so I still have no sight of the LOs. A copy of court listing will, apparently, be supplied.

Council now disputing the end of my liability as they think my landlord may disagree with my notice.

Bailiff coming to new premises tomorrow (at least according to voice mail threat) anf if unable to access here says he will visit home as I might have hidden goods there.

Strategy?