Being Chased For Claim from a Sold/Exported Car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4982 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received a letter from Elephant after some heated exchanges on the phone over the past year and wondered where I stand regarding the matter...

I sold and exported a car to a buyer in Sweden 2 and 1/2 years ago. The DVLA have proof of this. I was contacted by my previous insurer Elephant about an accident and personal injury claim that occoured in Sweden after my insurance had expired and the car had been exported. I explained this to them but they said that because the car was not insured at the time of accident all claims had to be traced back to the last known insurer of the vehicle (apparantly standard practice in the industry?). Now they have requested £2,900 from me for the claim, with the settlement option of £2,200 before they pass it onto a debt collection agency!!?

Obviously my stance is why the hell should I give them a penny?! The car was sold-Its nothing to do with me and the DVLA can prove this!? Also will this affect my credit rating at all?

I would greatly appreciate some advice on what to say when I ring them up as they dont seem to be listening....

Edited by marcdavison

Not heard of that one before but with the EU laws in place under the green card scheme it may be something that is correct. Hideously unfair I may add if so!!!

Personally I would ask them under what law they are seeking a recovery from you. If they can quote the legislation which such a recovery would come under then you will have a much better understanding of what you are up against. if they can't tell you under what law they are seeking to recover their losses then I would tell them to get stuffed.