Council tax single occupancy discount - alleged overpayment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i split up from my partner 5 years ago, we had a kind of on off relationship since then. she has been living with someone else in a camper van travelling around the country. we got back together 2 weeks ago and i informed council tax. they responded with a letter demanding her paperwork for the past 5 years. i dont have it and she doesnt have any as she was on the road. i have now been issued with a demand for £1530 to pay back the single supplement i have recieved for 5 years because the person looking at my case "doesnt believe she ever left" they have no evidence but have given me 14 days to pay, help!!

SPDs are awarded if the address is no longer the vacating person's main residence. All people are deemed to have a main residence, most of the time this is determined by the address to which their mail is sent, where belongings are kept etc. In the case of your partner this might be tricky because of the fact that she has been travelling. When she initially left did she move into another property, or did she go straight on the road? If she did move in somewhere else is there anyone that can verify that? If she went straight on the road where did she get any mail sent to?

Presumably you have a right to appeal against this decision but I am thinking that you would need to provide some proof that your address was not your partner's main residence for that period(s).

Sorry it's a bit sketchy, I have some knowledge in this general area but am certainly no expert!