wrong convection date / extra charge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4990 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

when i bought my insurance premium i stated my conviction ( using mobile phone while driving ) as 2 years old offence , but apparently the actual date offence commited was 2 years and 2 month ago! which makes my offence an older offence .. this is clearly an innocent mistake due to me not knowing the exact date and guessing it ...

insurance company is now asking for extra 45quid due to this mistake it doesnt even make sense ... is thats fair ?

thank you

This will include an admin charge for the Insurers to amend the policy information. This is pretty standard for Insurers to charge these days. Some will waive this, if you complain to a supervisor. This is required as the frontline staff on the phone, will need their supervisor to apply an overide.

The £45 will mostly be the admin charge. I can't see this affecting the rates being charged. Sometimes when you make an adjustment to a policy, it does perform a recalculation, that might cause an additional premium to be created.

Give it a go. If they insist on making the charge, then just pay it as it is not worth the hassle. They are allowed to make these charges, so you don't have any case to further your complaint elsewhere.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Just to hassle them ask them for a full breakdown as to how they have arrived at this magic finure of £45 although more than likely you will have to pay it anyway. We got caught the same way with Post Offcie insurance and wil never use them or recommend them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of moving to another company because I also like to have fully comprehensive cover and doubt it that this company is going to be the cheapest oneanyway (see this thread for why http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?274061-Crashed-and-ran-away! ) ... but I have been told by the current insurance company that if I withdraw and go for other company I will have to notify my new insurer that I have withdrawn insurance in the past which can increase my premium, is thats true ? I thought I only have to tell them if the insurance company cancels my current policy...

You do not have to notify a new insurance company if you choose to cancel your contract. Personally I'd report that company to the FSA for giving false advice just on what they said. It seems like a very cheap trick to get you to stay, and is certainly not TCF compliant.

Have you asked them for a breakdown on why you are being charged an extra £45?