Insurers getting out of responsibilities, are you aware?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4973 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a large fire which destroyed a building and its contents at the end of 2008. Legal and General Insurers. Crawford Loss Adusters attended. Crawford could not use their approved repairers so asked me to get own quotes. Quotes obtained and sent to Crawford for approval. Crawford approved works and arranged for payment to contractors from Legal and General. The building leaks and may not have been erected properly!

Asked L&G to repair or replace the building again, they stated that as I had used my own contractors then I was responsible.

I complained to Ombudsman, interim decision is that insurers are correct. The contractors and myself are liable for repairs. Any suggestions on contract law?

I complained to Ombudsman, interim decision is that insurers are correct. The contractors and myself are liable for repairs. Any suggestions on contract law?

How did you find the contractors?

Who paid the contractors ?

If L&G or Crawfords acting for them arranged for and paid the contractors, then L&G have a contractural responsibility with the contractors to repair the house at their cost.

If you found the contractors and took control over the arrangements, then you would be responsible for sorting this out with the contractors.

You would be best to see a solicitor with all the paperwork, to look into the best way forward. They may suggest starting legal proceeding against the contractors and forgetting about the FOS. The FOS are a shambles at the moment with cases taking over 2 years to finalise. They are losing staff due to the mess they are in, presumably caused by stress.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I found contractors in trade magazine, they provided quote in my name, I passed this to loss adjuster for approval. They approved it and told contractor to start. They issued cheques in name of contractor to me and I passed these direct to contractor. Guess you right though, need solicitor advice

The insurer has the liability, as already posted above, the cheque was issued in the contractors name, therefore a binding contract was made between the insurer and the contractor. The FOS should (should, it is the FOS!) support you here. but do you want the wait?