unemployment insurance policy claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5000 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I took out an insurance policy if i was ever made redundant to cover my mortgage repayments.

Was made redundant so i decided to claim on the policy

Met the all the claim criteria eg

confirmed with ABI 1 form from job seekers program(submitted monthly or whenever i sign on)

previous employer submitted relevant info to validate my claim(accepted by insurer)

A number of years ago when i was still employed by the same company,they showed signs back then of impending closure,i looked into a new business start up programme course,took the course placed an add in Yell.com to generate some customers.

My employer started to get busy again and work was secured for the forseeable future,so i decided not to continue with my own new business.

HMRC took notice of my venture and wrote to me wanting me to explain the nature of the company and why i am not registered with them.

I wrote back explaining the circumstances and that my business venture is not longer trading and i am still employed by a company.

HMRC accepted this.

Over the years after the very short life of the business venture,I would still get junk mail,business directory emails & phone calls wanting me to buy products or take an ad out etc...

The insurance company some how picked up on this info and now want confirmation from HMRC that i am no longer trading.

I have been in circles with different HRMC depts trying to get confirmation,but because i never registered the business with HMRC they have no record of it,and no record of ever writing to me in the first place to explain business venture

I made the mistake of not keeping a copy of the letter HMRC sent to me,nor did i keep copy of my reply of explanation to HMRC

But after all,I could still be doing any form of un-registerd work of employment which certian bodies would not know about?

As i submit an ABI 1 form which is signed/stamped by Official job seeker programme,and officially recognised as being unemployed,should my insurance company accept as final proof and pay my claim?

Can anyone advise if i can take insurance company to regulatory body/court on this?

Many thanks

Hello. How far up the food chain have you taken this? If you're dealing with someone relatively junior, it's worth escalating this to someone more senior, if you haven't already. Or you could consider the internal complaints system.

Can you prove the company is dormant using the Companies' House system?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello. How far up the food chain have you taken this? If you're dealing with someone relatively junior, it's worth escalating this to someone more senior, if you haven't already. Or you could consider the internal complaints system.

Can you prove the company is dormant using the Companies' House system?

HB

Hi Honeybee,

Am i right in thinking that because i did not register with HMRC or as a limited company with Companies house system there is no record!

I have been on to the insurance company again trying to appeal it,but they tell me that they still need confirmation after the did this director search which threw up my name & address!!

That's odd, isn't it? Have you asked them to supply a copy of the information they're basing their decision on? It might be worth speaking to Companies House because I had the impression they would know if a company was dormant and that you hadn't filed any accounts with them.

Would a copy of your tax return help to show the insurer that you only had your salary? I'm just trying to think how you would prove this. What proof does it say they want, according to your policy please?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum