Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder lizzy40 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

Default For what reason can a LandLord give a bad reference?

Can I ask to see the reference given from the previous landlord as been turned down new tenancy?

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative

Cagger since
    May 2006

Default Re: For what reason can a LandLord give a bad reference?

Are you sure it is a bad reference from a previous LL and not adverse credit report?

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

Yes the last LL threaten to make things difficult for my daughter who is renting near her univeristy because she had been a couple of times late with rent. We are only talking a few weeks at the most, her student loan came two weeks after the rent was due and they wouldn't change the rent date. Seems a bit harsh to me!

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative

Cagger since
    May 2006

I doubt if they can give a bad reference unless a default was raised. I would check my credit file first. If the credit file is okay, then you may have a case against the previous LL but I am not too sure how you proceed. Maybe CAB can give you some advice.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Planner Informative Planner Informative Planner Informative

Cagger since
    Dec 2006

I was going to ask what particlar issues do you think would mean a landlord would turdown a tenancy, and then you answered with late payment of rent. While a landlord is under no obligation to give a reference whatsoever, if a reference is given, and its factual i.e. late rent, than you have very little comeback.

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

Even if the rent was only a week late? Being classed as a late payer could mean weeks or even months late?

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE