Car Insurance validity?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My car has recently been stolen and my partner is a named driver with 6 points on there licence which i failed to disclose to the insurance company as i knew nothing about them. I'm now totally panicking incase they don't pay out as the car has not been recovered is there any reason they wouldn't?:confused:

Your partner having points is not relevant to the actual claim event, so unlikely to come up.

If she had crashed the car, that would be a different matter.

Suggest that once the claim is dealt with, that you look to sort this out.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Sorry but that is terrible advice.

Actually there is a statistical link between drivers with convictions and making theft claims. If your insurer asks for copies of the licences and finds that it does not match then they will reject the claim under non-disclosure.

You are also obliged to tell your insurer of any changes to the information that you have provided to them. This is a provision of your insurance. Even if not related to a claim your insurer would have required a higher premium. At the moment you have just made a mistake as you did not know. If you know about it and don't tell them then you are committing fraud.

If you don't want to commit fraud then your only option is to inform them right away. They may still try to refuse your claim under non-disclosure, but at least if you go to them, state the truth and offer to pay any increase in premium due then you stand a fighting chance. If you keep quiet and they find out then you won't really stand a chance.

Sorry but that is terrible advice.

Not terrible advice but real world advice.

I was half tempted to go down the route of your post. But then I thought that at the moment Insurers are scrutinising claims more and will decline a claim and void the policy, if they have valid reasons for doing so.

By giving the information about the named drivers points at this time, will just annoy the Insurers and will raise suspicion about the claim.

For a theft claim, I don't think it is normal practice to ask for a copy of a named drivers licence. Which is why I would keep quiet for the minute. If you advise the Insurers, it will only cause you problems. Yes you should have checked the licence and given the Insurers the correct information, but you are where you are. If the vehicle is not recovered and you receive a payout for the loss, for any future Insurance, you could just remove your partner from it.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

if the car is a total loss you will be expected to pay the full o/s premium (if any) so if you disclose the ND points the o/s could double as they will try to recoup the extra premium you should have been paying by reducing the the total loss settlement

As you say you knew nothing about the points so acted in good faith when taking out the policy

in total loss theft cases they ususally only ask for the PH licence or the person driving at the time of an accident

They have asked for both licences so phoned them and told them it was an honest mistake which they said was not a problem and will just have to pay the difference in premium. Definately think being upfront and honest straight away was the best option rather than trying to wing it and risk upsetting the insurers. They understood it was an honest mistake and did the right thing by us. Thanks for all the advice i hope this helps other people in future.