Swinton / LFS Collection Services

detjo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Im just wanting opinions here, really. I have done a search on CAG and the web and cant really find anything confirming my suspcions.

So here goes, the long way round ...

I took out car insurance with Swinton and after about 4 months, cancelled it - due to car being off road for a while.

I had paid everything upto the last months installment and, now, a £50 cancellation fee.

Having just moved and seeking another job, i didnt have enough money to pay Swinton at the time of cancellation. I told them this and said they would get the money soon as i got it - i wasnt trying to avoid payment altogether!

About a month later i got a letter from LFS Collection Services saying they were collecting on behalf of Swinton .. and all the usual - have to pay, CCJ, Law Court, increased fees etc etc.

I phoned LFS (16/7/2010) and told them i would pay them in a couple weeks (30/7/2010) when i had the money - they were semi ok about it, but she wasnt impressed!

I was all prepared to pay ... and then something happened that got me thinking.

I got a 'Parking Services Charge' from MET Parking Services for parking in McD's car park for too long. Having seen some info on here about it and the Watchdog video, i can safely file that one in the upstairs WC :-)

But then i thought .. if a private company cant legally claim/issue such charges, can LFS?

I phoned Swinton and asked them if i could pay them direct and the guy on the phone said "You can phone the branch where you took the insurance out and pay them only what you owe them, but to be honest, Swinton have already wiped off the debt!"

Hmm, that's interesting!

If i owe anyone, it's Swinton, but they have wiped off the debt. Therefore, surely i can tell LFS to take a jump? After all, are they, now, not trying to claim something that no longer exists?

What say you?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Best

detjo

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

Hi Hardupnotfedup

Thanks for your help.

I dont understand why i would send that to LFS, when i know i owed Swinton the money (did, until they 'wiped off the debt' )

Am i missing something?

You are asking LFS to prove that you owe THEM money forget Swinton.

In the letter where you put the company name put LFS.

If I wrote to you out of the blue demanding money would you just pay me, no you wouldn't. Same applies to these cretins

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

OK an old thread. That is quite intresting. Under similar circumstances, I cancelled my insurance with Swinton (as the car had died- literally). Swinton were a bit miffed that I was cancelling the policy- even though I had no car to insure; I informed them that I was self-employed, and much work has been cut back- so needed to tighten my belt financially. They began to reel off cancellation charges, additional admin charges etc. I explained that I did not mind paying for what I actually owed (I think it was about 7 days insurance outstanding- not much). But I was informed that I had to pay the £50 admin/cancellation charge- when asked to jusitfy it; the reply I got was "It's our charge". So- I sent them a cheque with covering letter for the outstanding weeks insurance (that cleared). About 2 weeks later I recieve a text message threatening court action if I didn't call LFS Collection and settle outsanding debts. So I called LFS- they informed me that there was no debt showing on my account and then apologised- explaining it was an error, and wrong number - so told to forget about it. A bit of a coincidence really- saying what did happen with Swinton in the first place. Since the initial conversation with Swinton back in April; I have recieved no further letter or contact, nor anything from LFS. Incidentally- LFS aren't actually an independent collection agency- they are the Swinton Insurance "Collections Department" though under a different banner- perhaps to make it sound more serious. BT collections did this and sent out letters in the same style as their BT letters- bit of a give away really.

Swinton/LFS..... make me laugh.

Over 2yrs ago i put my old car as sorn.... i was gonna MOT before xmas. Swinton called Insurance was up, i explained i was hoping to MOT in 4weeks. Girl advised me price would be higher. So for a policy of £222, i paid £84. 2 weeks later, i discovered Immobiliser was knackered, and cost to fix over £300. i scrapped car, and called to cancel, only to be told they wanted £74 for cancellation...

SO for 2 weeks in total they wanted £158,,,, ha no chance. i knew i would never get the £84 back, but told them no chance..... for about 18mths i got various letters from Swinton and LFS, and on all occassions i rang and said i was disputing, to be met with, you have disputed on the same grounds before, and the bill is due.....

I never paid, and 30months i never will pay it.

Il also never use them again......

The intresting thing is- prior to my insurance running out in April; I didn't receive any contact regarding a renewal until about 3 or 4 days before the policy ended (not useful as the car had died a day or so before)- and when it did drop through the door- with massive 40% increase on the top of last years premium; and worded pretty much as "Thanks for signing up with us".... I phoned them up. I explained that the quote they had provided was way too expensive; I couldn't afford it- and with work what it is; I couldn't predict when / what work would be coming in (That's the British Film Industry for you). The girl explained that the 40% rise was justified because they had to recoup costs for all of those undesireables who drive around uninsured and make false claims... Now correct me if I am wrong; there are numerous programmes on TV (across all channels) that follow numerous police forces, traffic police, motorway police, interpol, fashion police etc- they show how easy it is to pick up, fine, and seize vehicals from those uninsured. Where do the fines go? Secondly- insurers get a referral fee for every accident they refer to a claims company too. Nothing like having bread buttered on both sides is there? I told all this to the girl at Swinton- who was speechless, and just replied with "We need to make a profit too".... well there is profit, and huge profits. I then asked to cancel my policy and explained that the car had died- to be greeted with "Ahh yes, that'll be £50 admin charges" too.So I asked to justify the £50- which she couldn't, other than "That's our charge". So I threatened to invoice Swinton for my time (90mins on the phone), the phone call- being self employed, my time is money! I should have let my car insurance just run out for the sake of a few days. But at the end of the day was just keeping paperwork and such up to date- the authorities are hot on paperwork!!!

• 8 months later...
Swinton/LFS..... make me laugh.

Hi, just wanted to know how this situation resolved itself??? I too have received a letter from LFS on behalf of Swinton for a bill for £50 their cancellation charge. I purchased a new car and the insurance company I was with wouldn't cover my new car and so cancelled my policy. I was informed by Swinton that the £50 cancellation fee was due but if I took another policy our with them then it would be waived...however the new quote they gave me was more than double what I eventually got it for with another company!!!! I feel really aggrieved and do not want to pay this bill but can't become embroiled in CCJ's etc ?? I also notice that the letter from LFS has the same signature as the letter sent a couple of weeks ago from Swinton debt collection...... Any thoughts please ??...

Over 2yrs ago i put my old car as sorn.... i was gonna MOT before xmas. Swinton called Insurance was up, i explained i was hoping to MOT in 4weeks. Girl advised me price would be higher. So for a policy of £222, i paid £84. 2 weeks later, i discovered Immobiliser was knackered, and cost to fix over £300. i scrapped car, and called to cancel, only to be told they wanted £74 for cancellation...

SO for 2 weeks in total they wanted £158,,,, ha no chance. i knew i would never get the £84 back, but told them no chance..... for about 18mths i got various letters from Swinton and LFS, and on all occassions i rang and said i was disputing, to be met with, you have disputed on the same grounds before, and the bill is due.....

I never paid, and 30months i never will pay it.

Il also never use them again......

OK an old thread. That is Hi, just wanted to know how this situation resolved itself??? I too have received a letter from LFS on behalf of Swinton for a bill for £50 their cancellation charge. I purchased a new car and the insurance company I was with wouldn't cover my new car and so cancelled my policy. I was informed by Swinton that the £50 cancellation fee was due but if I took another policy our with them then it would be waived...however the new quote they gave me was more than double what I eventually got it for with another company!!!! I feel really aggrieved and do not want to pay this bill but can't become embroiled in CCJ's etc ?? I also notice that the letter from LFS has the same signatureas the letter sent a couple of weeks ago from Swinton debt collection...... Any thoughts please quite intresting. Under similar circumstances, I cancelled my insurance with Swinton (as the car had died- literally). Swinton were a bit miffed that I was cancelling the policy- even though I had no car to insure; I informed them that I was self-employed, and much work has been cut back- so needed to tighten my belt financially. They began to reel off cancellation charges, additional admin charges etc. I explained that I did not mind paying for what I actually owed (I think it was about 7 days insurance outstanding- not much). But I was informed that I had to pay the £50 admin/cancellation charge- when asked to jusitfy it; the reply I got was "It's our charge". So- I sent them a cheque with covering letter for the outstanding weeks insurance (that cleared). About 2 weeks later I recieve a text message threatening court action if I didn't call LFS Collection and settle outsanding debts. So I called LFS- they informed me that there was no debt showing on my account and then apologised- explaining it was an error, and wrong number - so told to forget about it. A bit of a coincidence really- saying what did happen with Swinton in the first place. Since the initial conversation with Swinton back in April; I have recieved no further letter or contact, nor anything from LFS. Incidentally- LFS aren't actually an independent collection agency- they are the Swinton Insurance "Collections Department" though under a different banner- perhaps to make it sound more serious. BT collections did this and sent out letters in the same style as their BT letters- bit of a give away really.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I've just had a letter from LFS with "FINAL NOTICE" in huge letters! Now, normally these letters have phrases such as 'may' and 'might' etc... however this one is a little more decisive. It states:-

If no contact is made by you will will obtain a County Court Judgement against you, and you will be liable for the following in addition to the current balance COURT FEES, SOLICITOR COSTS, INTEREST DUE

Is this just DCA fluff or should I take this one a little more seriously?

Thanks in advance!

Oh they will, will they. Are they the judge now?

:lol:

Successfully claimed back mis-sold PPI (Barclays Bank) 2009-10 (£8500)

Ran a paid-for DMP. Deeply respect those who self-manage a DMP; it is possible to do with the help of fellow CAGGERS

Offered F&F to all my creditors. All closed out including a particularly intransigent and stubborn one - who eventually saw sense after 10 months of nonsense!

Does not condone debt avoidance but violently disagrees with the antics of debt collectors and their behavior towards the ones trying to pay. I am a great believer in what goes around, comes around. Keep up the good fight!