Diesel 03 Mondeo - Flashing Glowplug Light

chiefengineer
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I have an 03 plate Deisel Ford Modeo (130Bhp Durotorq TDCi).

A while ago I was driving along when the glowplug light (the one that comes on until the glowplugs are warm, then goes out) started flashing.

I stopped, switched off, and started up again. All was fine.

Upon looking at the car handbook, I found no info on this, so I called Ford.

They had the car in for diagnostics (it was still under warranty) but found nothing. The problem has not occured since.

Anyone else had this problem?

Jeremy

Jeremy

Computer Problems? Give me a shout...

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

had the same problem with my car a few week ago first time as I stop at the light the car completely lost power thought it just stalled on me but it started ok . the second time I was on the motorway doing 70 and it happen again took it to the dealer. and it was found that the timing was out of sequence it was fixed. had to take mine back on tuesday to check the EGR valve as the engine started to race while idle

if the glow plug is flashing it indicate that there is something wrong. however it might no show on the diagnostic if it happen again take it back to the dealer and ask to speak to a senior engineer if possible. the ECU (engine management unit)might need an upgrade or the EGR valve might need changing.

my car is a 53 plate and has done 49000 miles

yung

Nationwide DD Charge refunded

watcha dude

just had a similar problem with my 03 mondeo turned out to be the CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR . fitted a new one problem solved. now the cost

are you sitting down

£ 14.05 inc vat from dealer

party on dudes

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been through a similar experience with my '02 TDCi 130; started about 3 months ago with intermittent non-start & glow plug light flashing. Over the last week it became worse, with engine dieing whilst driving (always entertaining, especially at 70 miles/hr in lane 3 of motorway :shock: ) finally resulting in a complete non-start a couple of days ago.

Soonest i could get into a local Ford dealer was 6 days. Called RAC to get the car home, they diagnosed faulty cam position sensor and towed it back.

One cmp sensor later she's back up & running again! Definitely one of the easiest (& cheapest) things to check if it's not starting through lack of fuel being delivered. I was preparing myself for the horror of a full fuel system and/or ECU replacement i've read about on other sites regarding similar problems. Still disappointing for 4yrs / 48000 miles though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Have any of you got this sorted as I have since last weekend been experiencing the same problems.

I rang Ford and they said it may be the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR but I have been investigating on the internet and have noticed there's also a camshaft position sensor aswell.

Which is it and can I fit it myself?

Diagnostics by Ford is gonna cost me £55+vat - i'm thinking NAH!!

extracted from a website...

Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP)

The CMP scans a reference cam on the camshaft. The CMP sends an alternating voltage signal to the PCM. This indicates the firing position of No1 cylinder. This is only used when starting starting. after that the (PIP) signal takes over to control the injectors.

Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP)

The CKP sensor is also an inductive pulse generator, like the CMP which scans 36 minus 1 cast protrusions on the flywheel. Minus one means that one of the protrusions is missing. This missing protrusion is located at 90º before top dead center and is used by the powertrain control module as a reference mark for the crankshaft position. The crankshaft position sensor sends an alternating voltage signal to the powertrain control module, which is used to determine engine speed and ignition timing.

the cam sensor is just above the inlet manifold in the middle has a grey plug 3 wires held in by one 8 or 10 mm bolt takes 5 mins to change. the crank senson is located down to back of the engine at the top of gearbox housing a pain to change hidden under pipes and wires.cam sensor is more comon for going wrong.crank senors normaly show a fault due to duel mass flywheel going wrong

If it is re-occuring a lot, it sounds likely there is a fault of some kind. Unfortunately, that is where my level of expertise ends.

It has never re-occured on my car, despite the way I hammer it!

I had the ECU upgrade just after I bought the car, and it was still under warranty.

Jeremy

Jeremy

Computer Problems? Give me a shout...

• 2 weeks later...

My 52 Plate TDCi Mondeo has just started doing the same thing, wouldn't start last night & had the Flashing Glowplug light, then once it did start it died (whilst doing 70 on the motorway!!).

Also seemed like it wasn't running on full power just before it cut out... very weird!

Booked into the ord dealership for Wednesday so here's hoping... :confused:

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

A friend of mine has just got rid of his 02 plate Mondeo Diesel.

Had a lot of problems with starting and poor running. Took it in to local Ford dealer who told him it was a problem relating to the fuel pump (High pressure pump) and that it would cost the best part of £1000 to put right.

And I thought running my BMW would be expensive! Almost eight years of motoring, with 100,000 miles under it's belt, and only repair (apart from wear & tear items such as brakes) has been a water pump.

31/10/06 Lloyds TSB - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent - Lost by Royal Mail!

24/11/06 2nd S.A.R Sent - Confirmed as Received 25/11/06 10.38am

30/11/06 Statements Received

6/12/06 Preliminary Request Sent

21/12/06 Sod Off Received (With £750 offer!)

22/12/06 LBA Hand Delivered to Branch. Merry Xmas TSB!

Just been quoted from the dealer for £195.09 for a replacement Camshaft Position Sensor, plus wiring & a recalibration of the injectors...

Ouch.! Ya bugger - I've only had the car a week!!! (Private Sale!)

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

Guest HUSBANDKHAN

Its a bugger with the new cars as you cant do alot with them. you can search for the topic on the internet and it will tell you how to replace it. if you are good with your spanner.

Guest HUSBANDKHAN

sorry . a quick thing. under neath the steering column there is a connection of some type that supplies the power to the engine from the ignition. i had a ford fiesta. Same problem diesel lights showing. it conked out twice second time would not start. called the rac who undid the steering column cover and tightned a loose wire. no probs afterwards.

Hi guys,

Have any of you got this sorted as I have since last weekend been experiencing the same problems.

I rang Ford and they said it may be the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR but I have been investigating on the internet and have noticed there's also a camshaft position sensor aswell.

Which is it and can I fit it myself?

Diagnostics by Ford is gonna cost me £55+vat - i'm thinking NAH!!

extracted from a website...

Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP)

The CMP scans a reference cam on the camshaft. The CMP sends an alternating voltage signal to the PCM. This indicates the firing position of No1 cylinder. This is only used when starting starting. after that the (PIP) signal takes over to control the injectors.

Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP)

The CKP sensor is also an inductive pulse generator, like the CMP which scans 36 minus 1 cast protrusions on the flywheel. Minus one means that one of the protrusions is missing. This missing protrusion is located at 90º before top dead center and is used by the powertrain control module as a reference mark for the crankshaft position. The crankshaft position sensor sends an alternating voltage signal to the powertrain control module, which is used to determine engine speed and ignition timing.

The description above would tend to point to it not being the CKP sensor.

This is used for ignition timing - we are talking about Diesels here folks - there is no ignition to time

Just been quoted from the dealer for £195.09 for a replacement Camshaft Position Sensor, plus wiring & a recalibration of the injectors...

Ouch.! Ya bugger - I've only had the car a week!!! (Private Sale!)

i yhink i hav the same problem i to have 51 plate mondeo do you know what your engine codes were so ican check with mine

• 3 weeks later...

Yes Same problem 03 Diesel Mondeo Flashing glow plug Light. Stuck in traffic lane 3 M6 no engine! :confused: Moving to hard shoulder on starter motor when engine fired. :) Next time at a roundabout,no engine! :confused: Moved on starter motor to safe place, called AA. Engine started again just before AA arrived. :mad: Explained situation AA followed me home and plugged diagnostic computer into socket under dash drivers side.There it was cam shaft sensor fault recorded twice. Looked in haynes manuel found where the sensor was (front of engine just below injectors.Went to local Ford Dealer bought a new sensor for £14 . :) It took about 10 minutes to fit it (one 8mm socket,wiring plug is a bit difficult to remove because of locking dimple on underside ) Problem solved car is running very smoothly. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the record:- same car, 53 plate,59000 miles, same symptoms,no fault codes,nightmare for 12days & then I decided to not drive it any more as my nerves were shattered.Booked in to main dealer & got myself green flagged up there.Dealers drove it & luckily it broke down 5 miles from base so they were able to get fault code P0340 come up---camshaft position sensor. Costs were £170-- Diagnosis £69,Labour 1 hr £69,Sensor & wiring/plugs £32. She flies like a bird again !!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

I have a 53 Focus TDCi 115...Got it 3yrs ago when only 16K on the clock...now is 142K (...mainly motorway cruising).

Have had it serviced religiously @ Main Dealers roughly every 12.5K as per the manual.

At the 100K service (...had 104K on the clock @ the time!) I was told that it was overdue to have a new Cam Belt.

Unfortunately I couldn't afford it at the time, (...was quoted £200+) as was the start of the month, so decided to postpone having a new one fitted until next payday.

Within the next 1K I had the usual problem stated by others on this thread...i.e. loss of engine power, not starting, mis-firing etc etc.

I had it looked at by the RAC mechanic who said he couldn't do anything other than to take it to a Main Dealers.

The mechanic there told me that the car's ECU was programmed to "remind" the car owner to have it looked over by a Main Dealer at certain intervals???...:confused:

Last night on my way to work the infamous "Flashing Glow Plug Light" syndrome re-occured!!!

I was hoping to put off having the 137.5K service until after Xmas cos my MOT is due in Jan as well.

Some Xmas I'm going to have if I can't get my car booked into a garage asap before the holiday period as much long distance family visiting to do.

Methinks FORD wants this problem and is quite happy about it, as it

appears to be extremely common!!!

It spoils for me what is an otherwise great car to drive and will make me think twice about replacing it with an updated version when that time comes eventually.