Hello all..driver crashed into my parked car.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4974 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello every one, and before I say much more can I just say what a great and useful site!! As my name kinda hints my car was just written off by a careless driver who crashed into my parked car. unfortunatly I dont think they will offer me the total cost back for the car, the car was bought for £5995 almost 2 years ago and has just had a engine rebuild and was in tip top form. When i spoke to the Insurance comp they said that they use the glass guide to get a bench mark for the car then look for defults to lower the price... NEVER increase it... the car had all the modcons and have searched autotrader and ebay to try find another one to get a price comp, but with no joy! I was also informed that as the baby car seat was in the car that they need the reciept for it as that needs to be replaced. but i cant find it anywhere!! I have looked on here and sen that alot of people have to fight to get the true vaule for the car back.

They have issued me with a courtesy car and if im not happy with the offer and end up fighting for the true vaule will they take the car back as I need a car for work... any info would be greatly welcomed. Thanks again

Hello and Welcome,

I'll move this thread to the appropriate Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

They have issued me with a courtesy car and if im not happy with the offer and end up fighting for the true vaule will they take the car back as I need a car for work... any info would be greatly welcomed. Thanks again

Did you get hold of the 3rd parties Insurance details ?

If yes, you would claim courtesy/hire costs from the 3rd parties Insurance for the relevant period, but must be justifiable.

If no, then normally the courtesy car provided by Insurers, will only be for up to 14 days max. Check with your Insurers.

Re settlement value, yes Insurers will use glass.co.uk guide to help them assess the value. They will also look at any information that you supply them to support your valuation e.g. service history, repairs to car. BUT they don't have to accept any small ads showing cars for sale, as the FOS have ruled that Insurers don't have to. The FOS position on the cars shown for sale in the small ads, is that these are the values sellers hope to achieve, not actual prices obtained. You have to negotiate hard to get as much as you can. If you can't reach agreement, Insurers may have an independent arbitration service to help assess settlement or you could go to the FOS if need be. But this could delay settlement for many months. So better if you can to reach agreement with the Insurers.

In regard to the childs car seat, if you have details of the make/model, then I am sure that will suffice.

• Haha 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

For the baby seat go to a couple of suppliers and get a pro- forma quote for its replacement cost like for like

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

If you need a vehicle whilst taking the fight to them then consider going to an accident management company. They will assess your incident, and if they think that you will win (ie that it is not your fault) then they will provide you with a hire car until the claim is settled.

This works because the car you are given will be charged to the 3rd party' insurance company (and they make a markup on this). It will also convince the 3rd party's insurer to get a move on as they seek to lower their claims costs.

Of course this all depends on you having identified the other car and that you are talking to their insurance company.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all again - heres the update on this and im a little confused now on what to do...

have been given a hire car and have had this since 15th of last month... now the accident managment company have been intouch with me weekly and I have sent them all relevent documents, was informed that the 3rd party ins comp was offering me £3800 and if i was to take my car back i would need to pay £304 but if i didnt want the car they would pay me £304? this firstly didnt make sense to me as i own the car still regardless of its state.

secondly they now tell me i must give the hire car back next week but i have not been issued with the cheque yet and I have said I am not happy with the amount and have sent them all the information to back my increase in the valuation to them as they requested.... what do I do as if its not increased I cant get a like for like car and also if they take there car back I will have no car to get to work so will be forced to take there offer just to get a car... some one please give me some advice!! thanks :)

£304 salvage/recovery fee ? Sounds like it. Ask the if this is what they are talking about.

In regard to the current situation, what you can normally do is provisionally accept the settlement, they send you the cheque, but make it clear that this is not final acceptance of settlement for the market value. You are entitled to continue negotiating final settlement and if necessary use the Insurers independent adjudicator or FOS to decide on the settlement value. If you went for adjudication, you could be waiting quite awhile before you received any extra.

You would obviously keep this is writing, so you can document your side of the story.

The hire car would only normally be provided for a reasonable period, so ask them to confirm how long you can keep the car on the above basis. They might be willing to provide the hire car for a few more weeks, until you have the banked the provisional settlement and arranged alternative transport.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Just my two pennies worth....

I have had 3 accidents and 3 write offs in my driving life, all caused by third party. The first I went through my own insurance...nightmare but with persistance on my part, I did get what the car was worth even though car rare to re purchase.

The second I went through my own insurance and switched to thirdparty and swore never again would I go through my own as they want the excess money and you get very little help with the process. Going through thirdparty, I got the value of my car, plus because I had taken out on my own insurance the legal costs if I was injured of which I was...got a year of chiropractic treatment and £14,000 compensation (took over a year to get it but it was truly appreciated.)

The third accident was similar to yours, guy wrote off my Scenic Megan which was parked outside my house, old and hundreds of miles on clock, pretty much aware of the routine by this time.

I bought the car only months before for £750 quid I got back £1300! This was done by being persistant and researching every area where you could buy this car and supplied them with a list of all the cars I could replace my vehical with at the top wack price not just the bottom price, and then get my figure from the average. It has to be almost identical to what you lost and if you can't find it even better because you would need more to actually do so! Remember it was not your fault some silly sod wrote your car off so why should you be inconvenienced by their actions? Same would apply for the child seat. Took two weeks to settle and get my cheque.

Not that I am intending to be written off again, but I would never go with my own insurance again because they just take the ****, want loads of money up front and do very little for you! Plus the other thing....

If the guy/gal admitted responsibilty then it should be straight forward. You get thirdparties insurance to give you hire car, if they say it's for a set time then you make sure they give you one until settlement. They caused it not you!

Not sure about the partial settlement but it's worth a try, but remember everything in writing do not agree anything over the phone unless you are sure that can replace your car, sometimes you have to fight for it, but they eventually do give in.

The other thing is if you were protected, watch your no claims bonus, make sure your insurance company does not penalise you for someone elses mistake...oh they try that too!

Good luck!

If it is the third party who are making the offer and your not going through your own insurer, forget any mention of the FOS that has been made, you cannot make a complaint as a third party, only against your own insurer.

If claiming as a third party, you will need to appoint your own engineer, probably not being able to claim it, the engineer may then come up with a higher valuation, at the same time, it could also be lower.

Either that our you take it to court, not an action I'd imagine your accident management company will want to do.

I thought that if the 3rd party Insurers were settling the total loss claim, the FOS could get involved.

I seem to remember reading this somewhere. I realise they don't normally get involved when it relates to someone elses policy.

They did consider it about 2 years ago, but quickly turned back to dealing with customers only. The only way the Op could get considered is if both parties are insurered with the same company, then you get around it.

That said, as always, these are only opinions, the FOS may take it on, I don't think so, but they may. They make thier own rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, will let you know what happens after their evidence of "extensive market research" has been given to me so far waited 4 days for something that they have already done... hmmm sounds like i was fobbed off...