Cost of a gift that is irreplaceable

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5023 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There was some damage done to my property when works were being carried out by builders. There was one item that was given to me years ago as a present and I cannot see one like anywhere. Do not know what I should claim for it. Any help would be appreciated.8-)

Depends on what it is. Did you throw the broken item away? The only thing you can do is negotiate with Insurers a value which represents what the item was worth in terms of current market value.

Very few items are unique.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

thanks for reply, it is less than 100 yrs therefore not antique, I still got the pices and the council that carried out the work make a photo of it and made inspection of damage over a month ago but not heard anything back as yet.

I have not got a clue what I should asked for it as it was a present to me about 30 years ago.

Very few items are unique.

Allwood, put your glasses on.

Unique was the word, not antique (lol).

If you tell us what the item was, someone might have an idea on value.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks HB and unclebulgaria67, there is no need to shout, I was aware that you written unique. I was just making the point that it was not an antique but nevertheless it was unique to me as it was given to me as a present and had my name written on it.

It was a delft tea caddy and I was very distress that it got broken. Not heard back from council as yet but will chase them next week. :(

Allwood, did you have a look on ebay for a similar tea caddy? I know ebay are in Europe, maybe there's a Dutch site as well? I think you can ask for a wider search from the UK site, can't quite remember. Otherwise, you need the Dutch for tea caddy! At least Delft is the same.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks HB and unclebulgaria67, there is no need to shout, I was aware that you written unique. I was just making the point that it was not an antique but nevertheless it was unique to me as it was given to me as a present and had my name written on it.

It was a delft tea caddy and I was very distress that it got broken. Not heard back from council as yet but will chase them next week. :(

I think they still make the Tea Caddies and can personalise certain items, so you could potentially get a replacement. Maybe worth emailing the Delft pottery companies, to see how much they would charge to provide a personalised tea caddy. This is not to say you would want to do this, as the broken item was a sentimetal item, but atleast you would find out the cost.

Items are only insurable at their material cost. No value is places to sentimentality. Therefore do not value the item based on it being personal to you / having your name engraved on it (think of it as having no engraving or someone else's name).