Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    a sort of fire-fighting role here. Hate HFC & their compulsory PPI ethos

Default Getting DLA now - what else can i claim?

i have a special needs daughter that was statemented all through her schooling and college life.
    she is now approaching 21yrs old this xmas

after no financial help whatsoever [nothing for 20yrs!] eventually last year i managed to get DLA [on the unattended travel bit] for her.

does this open up any other doors?
    she is not, nor has, ever been in work.
    not signing nor nothing.

thoughts please [rent? ctax? relief?]

DX

Credit Reference Agencies:Experian Equifax CallCredit noddle<<<<CRA FILE INFO IS HERE<<<<
    fed up with DCA's calling get a TRUECALL BOX!! - HERE
    Sort Your Debts Now - - here

Start Your Own Thread - HERE

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here
    2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here
    3. Reclaim Loan, Credit Card, mortgage & CAtalogue Charges Read Here
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if ness
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by telephone
    - alert the siteteam IMMEDIATELY by hitting the black warning triangle on any message - Particularly if this results in a request to pay a fee to help you.

DX
    RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2008
    I am in
    Farnborough, S.E. England

Default Re: Getting DLA now - what else can i claim?

ESA perhaps but her's would have to be the "Income Based" type.
    Employment and Support Allowance : Directgov - Disabled people

Re. CTB and HB/LHA it depends on if she lives with you or not.

There are some on-line benefits calculators available and an ESA form for those who want to see what's involved, see below.
    (permalink)

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - see this post by Joa, great advice and links!
    I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder Zara33 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Oct 2009

Quote Originally Posted by dx100uk View Post
    i have a special needs daughter that was statemented all through her schooling and college life.
    she is now approaching 21yrs old this xmas

after no financial help whatsoever [nothing for 20yrs!] eventually last year i managed to get DLA [on the unattended travel bit] for her.

does this open up any other doors?
    she is not, nor has, ever been in work.
    not signing nor nothing.

thoughts please [rent? ctax? relief?]

DX
    Can you clarify what rate of DLA?

Site Team antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2009
    I am in
    Linlithgow

Quote Originally Posted by loan_ranger View Post
    ESA perhaps but her's would have to be the "Income Based" type.
    Employment and Support Allowance : Directgov - Disabled people

Re. CTB and HB/LHA it depends on if she lives with you or not.

There are some on-line benefits calculators available and an ESA form for those who want to see what's involved, see below.
    (permalink)
    It does sound like it's worth applying for ESA, but it may not have to be income-related. ESA Youth, or ESA(Y) could be available to a person who has, effectively, never had the chance to make the required NI contributions because their disability has prevented them from working for a significant part of their adult lives.

I should make it clear to the OP - ESA does not depend on an award of DLA. Plenty of recipients of ESA don't get any rate of DLA at all. But if ESA were to be awarded, an award of DLA at the middle or higher rate care component may increase the amount of ESA due.

ESA is paid to people who have limited capability for work (or no capability at all) because of an illness or disability. It sounds like it is certainly worth your daughter making an application.

Royalties Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm Highly authoritative Bookworm's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2006
    I am in
    corrigible. Get over it.
    Blog Entries

As asked above, what rates is she getting for both elements of DLA?

Does she live with you or independently, or in assisted accommodation?

If with you, do you/your partner work FT or does someone care for daughter for more than 35 hrs a week?

As yu can see there are a lot of variations, but some of the possibilities for her or her carers are:

Housing and/or council tax benefit: a disability premium can be substantial for a rebate. We paid council tax for years without realising that we were entitled to 100% rebate due to disabled child. We're homeowners so don't get HB, but that can also reduce rent liability if tenant.

Carer's Allowance if the carer cares for the disabled person for more than 35 hours a week and earns less than a certain amount (about 90/week). CA is only about 55 a week, but every little bit helps. It is however a taxable benefit and so can affect other benefits.

More info on which rates she's getting will help in determining what other benefits may be available.

Just passing through, don't mind me...!
    Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    middenmess Informative middenmess Informative middenmess Informative middenmess Informative

Cagger since
    Apr 2009
    I am in
    Dorset

My G'Daughter has Aspergers and gets free bus travel for herself [and any carer over the age of 16 who travels with her]

Basic Account Holder loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2008
    I am in
    Farnborough, S.E. England

Quote Originally Posted by middenmess View Post
    My G'Daughter has Aspergers and gets free bus travel for herself [and any carer over the age of 16 who travels with her]
    Good point middenmess, I think all LA's have similar free bus travel schemes, round my way DLA middle or high rate means you are eligible.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - see this post by Joa, great advice and links!
    I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.
    Follows
    Following

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    a sort of fire-fighting role here. Hate HFC & their compulsory PPI ethos

ok great info you lot.

i'll dig out the paperwork tomorrow.

just to muddy the waters somewhat.......

i am living down south on my own, in rented council house, the family are all in scotland at the mortgaged family owed business, i sadly failed to secure early retirement due to the financial climate and still work ft. my daughter is not with me.

she is not disabled in the physical nor mental state, just suffered her first 3yrs not being able to hear, so is about 5-7yrs behind her expected educational expectations.

keep the ideas and info coming.

Credit Reference Agencies:Experian Equifax CallCredit noddle<<<<CRA FILE INFO IS HERE<<<<
    fed up with DCA's calling get a TRUECALL BOX!! - HERE
    Sort Your Debts Now - - here

Start Your Own Thread - HERE

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here
    2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here
    3. Reclaim Loan, Credit Card, mortgage & CAtalogue Charges Read Here
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if ness
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by telephone
    - alert the siteteam IMMEDIATELY by hitting the black warning triangle on any message - Particularly if this results in a request to pay a fee to help you.

DX
    RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder dragonkeeper Novitiate dragonkeeper Novitiate dragonkeeper's Avatar

Cagger since
    Apr 2010
    I am in
    L22. I need coffee

My deaf son (from birth) receives SDA topped up with IS. Also DLA top rate care and top rate mobility (cannot travel independantly) not just deaf other conditions aswell.
    Do not no if SDA is going to same way as IB.

dk

most of my knowledge is from the school of hard knocks

not based on any legal background

As quite a lot fellow caggers state seek Legal Advice

Follows
    Following

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE