"Cutlass type name" Insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5004 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Three weeks ago a *** fool broke into a relative's car, took the handbrake off and pushed it into my wife's car and also into mine. After much procrastination, and a visit from an independent investigator, the relative's insurer agreed to his claim and are currently fixing the car. However, today my wife and I both received a letter the insurance company telling us that because the thief was not identified, they were not "obliged to cover our losses" under the RTA. :mad:

Needless to say, we're both bloomin furious and will be contacting a solicitor on Monday morning.

Anyone any advice?

If you have third party fire & theft, then I think you are stumped. Only if you have comp cover, could you claim against your own policies. But then you have the excesses and loss of no claims discount to contend with.

You can't really claim against the relatives Insurance, as they were not responsible for the accident.

There would not be any claim against the Motor Insurance Bureau, as this was not an RTA.

By all means see a solicitor, but I can't see them helping.

What cover do you both have and who are the Insurers ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

All parties are fully comp (Direct Line). The relatives are with Sabre.

Hmmm. I've got a feeling this will get costly and complicated...

Sounds like you are trying to avoid claiming off the policy, where you would have the excess involved, i.e claiming using the 3rd party cover, as if this was an accident. If you check with your relative, they are claiming against the comp cover and paying the excess, possibly losing no claims discount. So they are in the same situation as yourself.

The vandalism cover under the DL policy does not appear to offer much help either, as another vehicle was involved.

This is the DL vandalism promise that offers to protect your no claims if your car is subject to vandalism.

These days it's almost impossible to protect your car from being vandalised. If you're a victim, our vandalism cover comes as standard and now preserves your no claims discount. And we won't just repair the damage; if you go to one of our recommended garages, we'll clean your car inside and out too. After all, it's not your fault if you're a victim - so why should you suffer twice? Conditions

• You pay the excess
  • The incident is reported to the police and assigned a crime reference number.
  • The damage has not been caused by another vehicle

When you claim you will have to pay the excess. Once we receive your claim, you may lose your no claims discount, but only until we are supplied with a relevant crime reference number.

Please remember that vandalism should be reported to your local police station unless it is an emergency.

In Northern Ireland cover not available to under 22’s.

This promise is for comprehensive policyholders only.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Not sure this is true.

Did check the MIB site, before commenting with this, just to to see whether this was an avenue to explore.

If you think there is a chance, please quote the relevant bit from MIB that would help the OP.