style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5033 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

can anyone explain why this is please.

recently bought our daughter a car and during her provisinal driving stage her car was parked outside a friends house,unfortuantely another car run into the back of her,they knocked the door and accepted full blame,we informed our insurance company and they said that as she was blame less and the person whom caused the accident accepted full liability then her no claims would not be lost or an increase be given to her premiums.our insurance company didnt have to lift a finger as the car was picked up repaired and returned by the other insurance company,our daughter then passed her test and we then had to inform the insurance company,the policy more than doubled in cost,we rang other insurance companies and they all ask the same question have you had an accident in last couple of yrs,we have no option but to say yes and then explain what had happened,upon pressing a few insurance agent each have said that the policy is £400 more as the car has been involved in an accident even thou our daughter was blameless,apparently she is now classed as a risk.i know someone whom works for an insurance company and he tells me that this is true and they will do anything to get more money out of you.to me this seems a true rip off especially when she was deemed to be blameless.

Yes this is unfortunately the case. Although the claims was a non fault and would not affect any no claims discount entitlement, Insurers do load the premium in regard to having an accident. This is because when Insurers calculate the premium they are assessing the risk. Statistically once you have had an accident, you are much more likely to have another one. The saying, things always seem to happen in threes' comes to mind.

Your daughter would be best to speak to a decent local broker (not Swintons) to see if they can negotiate for her. Often in this situations, you are better to use a broker, who can use their relationship with Insurers to negotiate a better deal.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

There are two seperate issues here

The first is that your daughter passed her test, that will account for the biggest rise in the insurance premium. Basically, whilst she was a provisional driver she was always accompanied by an experienced driver and the car was technically under the control of the experienced driver. Once a learner driver passes the test they are free to drive alone and as such they then pose a bigger risk.

The actual non fault accident will add a much smaller amount to the insurance premium. To calculate exactly what this has added go to an insurance website or a comparison site and enter all your daughters details, where it asks about accidents state NO and carry on until you get your quoted figure, then go back and redo the quote and tell it about the accident and get the quoted figure. the rise in premiums will be a lot less than the £400. CHANGE NO DETAILS OTHER THAN THE ACCIDENT

If you have not accepted a 'full and final settlement' from the insurers of the third party then you can make a claim against them for this rise in premiums because it was the actions (negligence) of the third party that has now made her a higher risk. Remember that this accident will count against your daughter for 5 years, so I'd multiply the diffrence in premiums between the no accident quote and the non fault accident quote by 5.

Mossy

Yes as always mossycat hits the nail on the head. Passing the test is the main issue and not the non fault accident.

Think I need another coffee!!

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread