Permitted Work - Incapacity Benefit - Housing Benefit

Eaglewoman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4994 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, wonder if anyone can help?

I receive Incapacity Benefit, with a small top-up of Income Support. I would like to see if I could do some work. I have read in some places that from 1st April 2010 it is possible to earn £93 net, doing permitted work for less than 16 hours and still receive full Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefits. However, I cannot find this information on the Direct Gov site.

I have found the information on the Workways site, local government sites for Southampton and Newcastle and a Housing Benefit & Council Tax Benefits Circular. But it has taken some digging. And of course we have changed govt since :confused: Any ideas or comments greatly appreciated :)

Edited by Eaglewoman
Forgot something

Hi Eaglewoman, A simplistic answer I'm afraid!

I'm on ESA and was looking into permitted work at the end of last year. It is probably different for you, but I have a pathways advisor at my jobcentre who was absolutely helpful with this. Unfortunately, my health took a turn for the worse and I never got to start it. If you have a jobcentre nearby I'd suggest arranging a chat with someone about it or give them a ring. On the surface it seems like a good idea...

Best wishes

Rae

Hi Eaglewomen

It does state being able to do some work while on IB, BUT.... check out what you can do while in receipt of I.S..

You will proberly find that you cannot work at all (paid or voluntary) without it affecting IS.

Sorry about that, been there hauled into IS office. Mind you that was back in 1994.

But do there's no harm in asking.(:rolleyes: Never no it could of relaxed in 16 years :rolleyes:)

When they say no :-) be careful if you deceide to carry on and work.

dk

Hi Eaglewoman,

all I could find c/o direct.gov was:

Effect on other benefits

If you get Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit and you do Permitted Work, any earnings over £20 may be taken into account when assessing these benefits.

'Permitted Work' - working while claiming Incapacity Benefit : Directgov - Disabled people

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Permitted work for those on income support and other means tested benefits

If you are on incapacity benefit or severe disablement allowance and you are also on income support you can do permitted work but any earnings which exceed your earnings disregard (£20) will be deducted from your income support.

If you are on employment and support allowance, incapacity benefit or severe disablement allowance and are on housing benefit or council tax benefit you are allowed to keep all your permitted work earnings. These earnings will not affect your benefit.

Contradiction or what:confused:.

Work for people who are sick or disabled - Disability Alliance Factsheet F35

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

From April 2010, the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit earnings limit were increased to £93.00 a week for people receiving contributory ESA, IB and SDA who also do permitted work. This means that people who receive contributory ESA, do permitted work and receive housing benefit will be able to work and earn up to £93 before their housing benefit will be affected. This aligns the rules with those that already apply to people who receive income-related ESA.
Permitted Work Rules

TBH I would still be apprehensive of considering permitted work without further clarification from the council on HB & CTB because none of the info I found appears clear or authoritative enough to inspire confidence.

L.R.

All I can recall is that when I discussed it with my Pathways Advisor at the end of last year - for income based ESA - I could do permitted work up to 16 hours a week and receive up to £93pw with no loss of benefits inc CT and HB. I'm sure I have a print-out somewhere...

I believe it did only last for 12 months and I have no idea what would happen at that point.

Best wishes

Rae

• 4 weeks later...

:D Hi,

and thanks to everyone who posted a reply. After a lot of hard work and considerable digging, I have found the answer to my question and confirmation of what I had understood from various sites. The problem was that none of it was clearly stating my understanding.

However, I now have the answer to my own dilemma. It is a very complex situation so I do not want to raise anyone else's hopes without first checking their personal circs. But it is now possible to work for less than 16 hours per week, earn up to £93 (net) and still keep the money earned (less any income tax if relevant) and full illness benefits and full housing benefit (if you were already receiving it) and full community tax (if you were already getting it).

As I say the rules are very complex (when are they not? :-| ) But the site that has clinched it for me is this one http://socialfirmsuk.co.uk/ They have an online test and a pdf file that goes thru it all in a really easy to follow visual chart, covering

what appears to be all angles.

Hope this will help anyone who needs it. If I could dance without harming myself I would :p .

Lv lite n har money to all :cool:

Edited by alanfromderby
link reinstated

hi Eaglewoman,

If you get small top of I.S and take up permitted work and earn the ninety three pounds then you will lose the I.S entitlement.

On I.S you are allowed to keep the first twenty pounds and after that its take in pound for pound, so seventy three pounds would be classed as an Income and would nil your claim.

Also to add a little,

i know someone who did this and after 12 months his benefits were stopped as he was fit for work as they said he had being doing it for the last 12 months no problem.

just be causious and check out all the avenues

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

An interesting point, Ida. The info I've had from my Pathways Advisor is that if things didn't work out you can revert back to ESA. Only have that verbally and something I'll definately investigate further as it's a route I'm giving serious thought to...

Best wishes

Rae

Just thought I would say , obviously I took their word for it but i do know they gave it up at this point

maybe ask a direct question you may get a direct answer ;)

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

An interesting point, Ida. The info I've had from my Pathways Advisor is that if things didn't work out you can revert back to ESA. Only have that verbally and something I'll definately investigate further as it's a route I'm giving serious thought to...

Best wishes

Rae

If you're doing ESA PWHL (Permitted Work Higher Limit) you should be contacted after about 11 months or so. You can either stop working altogether and continue to claim ESA, or you can terminate your claim to ESA and live off your wages. You can also, I believe, switch to PW Lower Limit, which IIRC allows earnings of £20 or so per week but has no limit on how long you can do it.

In theory it's a sound idea. It's recognised that ESA should not provide a disincentive to people who could do some work, and also that for some conditions, working can be helpful. As with so many things benefit-related there are problems with the implementation and that's why, as you know, it's good to know what the rules are before you run into any problems.

• Haha 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Can i ask a question on behalf of a friend

She is getting IB,HB and DLA mobity rate high and has been a volunteer for a year or so at a charity,one day a week answering the phone and some pc work.

Could the DWP turn round to her and say,if you can volunteer,you can look for work as well ? and stop here current benefits ?

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Hi Mikey

Did you go to the site I mentioned? The changes occurred on 1st April 2010.

In my scenario I will lose

the IS top up - £2.50 in my case - after earning £20, but everything else will remain in place in full, i.e. benefits I receive now of IB, HB and Community Tax, is not affected.

But an overall gain of £91 and a gain of self esteem is a good exchange in my view.

Hi again,

I hadn't realised that the link I provided has been edited out. So I have asked for help and once I know what I can provide to you as evidence for my statements I will give you all the details.

Lv lite n har money

Hi all

It may only be £2.50p cash, IS carries other fringe benefits.

You may loose your presciption, dental and optician entitlement when you come off I.S..

Depending on income you may qualify for HC2 assistance.

( :confused: posts #3 & #5 did mention working and I.S.. post #5 also said about £20 limit :confused: )

:)

dk

Also to add a little,

i know someone who did this and after 12 months his benefits were stopped as he was fit for work as they said he had being doing it for the last 12 months no problem.

just be causious and check out all the avenues

as a follow on from above post #21

bare in mind IdaInFife's quote

Being on IB watch for ATOS medical.

I do not think JSA would allow you earn that much and retain the

rest of your benefits.

Please look very carefully at all relevant facts before you act

there may be no way back.

regards

dk

:)

Permitted Work on ESA is certainly different than JSA. Possibly also from IB / IS.

My next meeting with my Pathways Advisor is in about three weeks or so. As this is something of interest to me, I'll raise the point directly for clarification...

Best wishes

Rae

Hi Mikey

Did you go to the site I mentioned? The changes occurred on 1st April 2010.

In my scenario I will lose

the IS top up - £2.50 in my case - after earning £20, but everything else will remain in place in full, i.e. benefits I receive now of IB, HB and Community Tax, is not affected.

But an overall gain of £91 and a gain of self esteem is a good exchange in my view.

I agree and I wish you well, I was just pointing out you would lose your I.S and as DragonKeeper pointed out the benefits that go with it.

I knew the income from permitted work had changed for HB purposes which can only be good news for anybody starting it.

Permitted work for IB is allowed for twelve months :)