Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder Eaglewoman Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Apr 2010

Red face Permitted Work - Incapacity Benefit - Housing Benefit

Hi, wonder if anyone can help?

I receive Incapacity Benefit, with a small top-up of Income Support. I would like to see if I could do some work. I have read in some places that from 1st April 2010 it is possible to earn 93 net, doing permitted work for less than 16 hours and still receive full Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefits. However, I cannot find this information on the Direct Gov site.

I have found the information on the Workways site, local government sites for Southampton and Newcastle and a Housing Benefit & Council Tax Benefits Circular. But it has taken some digging. And of course we have changed govt since Any ideas or comments greatly appreciated

Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK's Avatar

Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    I am in
    a world of my own ...

Default Re: Permitted Work - Incapacity Benefit - Housing Benefit

Hi Eaglewoman, A simplistic answer I'm afraid!
    I'm on ESA and was looking into permitted work at the end of last year. It is probably different for you, but I have a pathways advisor at my jobcentre who was absolutely helpful with this. Unfortunately, my health took a turn for the worse and I never got to start it. If you have a jobcentre nearby I'd suggest arranging a chat with someone about it or give them a ring. On the surface it seems like a good idea...
    Best wishes
    Rae

Basic Account Holder dragonkeeper Novitiate dragonkeeper Novitiate dragonkeeper's Avatar

Cagger since
    Apr 2010
    I am in
    L22. I need coffee

Hi Eaglewomen

It does state being able to do some work while on IB, BUT.... check out what you can do while in receipt of I.S..
    You will proberly find that you cannot work at all (paid or voluntary) without it affecting IS.
    Sorry about that, been there hauled into IS office. Mind you that was back in 1994.
    But do there's no harm in asking.( Never no it could of relaxed in 16 years )
    When they say no be careful if you deceide to carry on and work.

dk

most of my knowledge is from the school of hard knocks

not based on any legal background

As quite a lot fellow caggers state seek Legal Advice

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2008
    I am in
    Farnborough, S.E. England

Hi Eaglewoman,

all I could find c/o direct.gov was:
    Effect on other benefits

If you get Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit and you do Permitted Work, any earnings over 20 may be taken into account when assessing these benefits.
    'Permitted Work' - working while claiming Incapacity Benefit : Directgov - Disabled people

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - see this post by Joa, great advice and links!
    I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger Informative loan_ranger's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2008
    I am in

Permitted work for those on income support and other means tested benefits

If you are on incapacity benefit or severe disablement allowance and you are also on income support you can do permitted work but any earnings which exceed your earnings disregard (20) will be deducted from your income support.
    If you are on employment and support allowance, incapacity benefit or severe disablement allowance and are on housing benefit or council tax benefit you are allowed to keep all your permitted work earnings. These earnings will not affect your benefit.
    Contradiction or what.
    Work for people who are sick or disabled - Disability Alliance Factsheet F35

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - see this post by Joa, great advice and links!
    I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jan 2008
    I am in

From April 2010, the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit earnings limit were increased to 93.00 a week for people receiving contributory ESA, IB and SDA who also do permitted work. This means that people who receive contributory ESA, do permitted work and receive housing benefit will be able to work and earn up to 93 before their housing benefit will be affected. This aligns the rules with those that already apply to people who receive income-related ESA.
    Permitted Work Rules

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder dragonkeeper Novitiate dragonkeeper Novitiate dragonkeeper's Avatar

Cagger since
    Apr 2010
    I am in
    L22. I need coffee

Quote Originally Posted by loan_ranger View Post
    i thought you lost the IS

Nice work digging up up to date facts loan_ranger

dk

most of my knowledge is from the school of hard knocks

not based on any legal background

As quite a lot fellow caggers state seek Legal Advice

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jan 2008
    I am in

TBH I would still be apprehensive of considering permitted work without further clarification from the council on HB & CTB because none of the info I found appears clear or authoritative enough to inspire confidence.

L.R.

Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK's Avatar

Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    I am in
    a world of my own ...

All I can recall is that when I discussed it with my Pathways Advisor at the end of last year - for income based ESA - I could do permitted work up to 16 hours a week and receive up to 93pw with no loss of benefits inc CT and HB. I'm sure I have a print-out somewhere...
    I believe it did only last for 12 months and I have no idea what would happen at that point.
    Best wishes
    Rae

Cagger since
    Apr 2010

Hi,
    and thanks to everyone who posted a reply. After a lot of hard work and considerable digging, I have found the answer to my question and confirmation of what I had understood from various sites. The problem was that none of it was clearly stating my understanding.

However, I now have the answer to my own dilemma. It is a very complex situation so I do not want to raise anyone else's hopes without first checking their personal circs. But it is now possible to work for less than 16 hours per week, earn up to 93 (net) and still keep the money earned (less any income tax if relevant) and full illness benefits and full housing benefit (if you were already receiving it) and full community tax (if you were already getting it).

As I say the rules are very complex (when are they not? :-| ) But the site that has clinched it for me is this one http://socialfirmsuk.co.uk/ They have an online test and a pdf file that goes thru it all in a really easy to follow visual chart, covering
    what appears to be all angles.

Hope this will help anyone who needs it. If I could dance without harming myself I would .

Lv lite n har money to all

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    MIKEY DABODEE Highly informative MIKEY DABODEE Highly informative MIKEY DABODEE Highly informative MIKEY DABODEE Highly informative MIKEY DABODEE Highly informative MIKEY DABODEE Highly informative

Cagger since
    Mar 2008

hi Eaglewoman,

If you get small top of I.S and take up permitted work and earn the ninety three pounds then you will lose the I.S entitlement.
    On I.S you are allowed to keep the first twenty pounds and after that its take in pound for pound, so seventy three pounds would be classed as an Income and would nil your claim.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    I am in
    a world of my own ...

In which case, Mikey, I prefer the ESA version ...
    Best wishes
    Rae

Site Team IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2007
    I am in
    Fife

Also to add a little,

i know someone who did this and after 12 months his benefits were stopped as he was fit for work as they said he had being doing it for the last 12 months no problem.

just be causious and check out all the avenues

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running
    Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)
    Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    I am in
    a world of my own ...

An interesting point, Ida. The info I've had from my Pathways Advisor is that if things didn't work out you can revert back to ESA. Only have that verbally and something I'll definately investigate further as it's a route I'm giving serious thought to...
    Best wishes
    Rae

Site Team IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife Authoritative IdaInFife's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2007
    I am in
    Fife

Just thought I would say , obviously I took their word for it but i do know they gave it up at this point

maybe ask a direct question you may get a direct answer

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running
    Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)
    Follows
    Following

Site Team antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2009
    I am in
    Linlithgow

Quote Originally Posted by Kelcou View Post
    An interesting point, Ida. The info I've had from my Pathways Advisor is that if things didn't work out you can revert back to ESA. Only have that verbally and something I'll definately investigate further as it's a route I'm giving serious thought to...
    Best wishes
    Rae
    If you're doing ESA PWHL (Permitted Work Higher Limit) you should be contacted after about 11 months or so. You can either stop working altogether and continue to claim ESA, or you can terminate your claim to ESA and live off your wages. You can also, I believe, switch to PW Lower Limit, which IIRC allows earnings of 20 or so per week but has no limit on how long you can do it.

In theory it's a sound idea. It's recognised that ESA should not provide a disincentive to people who could do some work, and also that for some conditions, working can be helpful. As with so many things benefit-related there are problems with the implementation and that's why, as you know, it's good to know what the rules are before you run into any problems.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    I am in
    a world of my own ...

Thanks for that Antone, I just think it's a good way for me to try and do what I can ...
    Best wishes
    Rae

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    45002 Highly informative 45002 Highly informative 45002 Highly informative 45002 Highly informative 45002 Highly informative 45002 Highly informative 45002's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2007
    I am in
    Hyperspace

Can i ask a question on behalf of a friend

She is getting IB,HB and DLA mobity rate high and has been a volunteer for a year or so at a charity,one day a week answering the phone and some pc work.

Could the DWP turn round to her and say,if you can volunteer,you can look for work as well ? and stop here current benefits ?

Cagger since
    Apr 2010

Hi Mikey

Did you go to the site I mentioned? The changes occurred on 1st April 2010.

In my scenario I will lose
    the IS top up - 2.50 in my case - after earning 20, but everything else will remain in place in full, i.e. benefits I receive now of IB, HB and Community Tax, is not affected.
    But an overall gain of 91 and a gain of self esteem is a good exchange in my view.

Cagger since
    Apr 2010

Hi again,
    I hadn't realised that the link I provided has been edited out. So I have asked for help and once I know what I can provide to you as evidence for my statements I will give you all the details.

Lv lite n har money

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE