house burlary - wrong locks, content insurance calim rejected

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5029 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

Would really apprecaite some advice on this. I'm probabaly very naive, but following the burglary of our house a couple of weeks ago, the loss adjustor (appointed by insurers webmoney) who visited, has just sent us notice that we will not be paid out bacuse of this:

breach of the ‘Protections Condition’ [Clause 8] is material to the loss(es) sustained and cannot therefore be waived. This determines that they cannot consider your claim for the replacement of the patio doors; the emergency boarding and the contents stolen from the house.

The patio doors on our house (which had been fitted many years before we moved in 10 years ago) apparently do not have the required cyclinder/ vertical locking system that is required as an endorsement on the Terms and Conditions of our policy. Now I don't know the difference between a dead hedgehog and locking systems, and given that the burglars had wrencjed the doors from the centre open witha spade from our shed, and the lock was all intact and still in place, confuses me even more!

please someone tell me whether it's worth me bothering to challenge this, or is it just my own stupid fault? The total claim was for sentimental jewellery which was stolen mainly and a few small electrical items - hardly a king's ransom.

Many thanks

Doesn't rain but bl**dy well pours

Unfortunately, I agree with the loss adjuster. If the thieves broke in through the patio doors and there was a security condition you had not complied with, no Insurers would pay out.

With older patio doors, you have to have security bolts fitted to stop the doors being lifted out of the frame. The bolts would have been reasonably cheap and easy to fit had you noticed the security condition.

Your only chance to challenge this is in regard to the way the policy was sold. I presume you bought it online and you did not phone the company to arrange. If you arranged cover online, I would have expected the online details to have highlighted the security conditions as important information to read. This should have been followed through in the letter you received with the policy documents. I would also have expected the security conditions requirement to feature prominently in the letter. If neither the online information or policy documents received, drew your attention to the security requirements then make a complaint to the Insurers. Ask for their final response, saying that you would like for the FOS to examine issues you have indentified with the sales process regarding important conditions.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread