Please help, v.distressed: Iphone insurance declining my claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5063 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please help, my IPhone was insured under Supercover Insurance, and was stolen whilst on holiday. The insurers have declined my claim (and subsequent appeal) on the grounds it was 'left unattended', by which they define as 'within your sight at all times or within your arms-length reach'.

It is the 'within sight at all times' which I am being declined on, and it has really upset me. How open to interpretation is this? Sparing you the real in-depth details, in a busy park, my phone was in my bag which was by my side as I was helping an injured person, the dressing for the injury was in my bag, and literally in the blink of an eye the bag was swiped. No-one properly saw the thief and it was as my full focus returned to the bag that it was realised it had been taken. But at all times it was within arms-length reach and ultimately within my sight. In such a circumstance (and plenty others in normal life!), surely an item can be attended and 'within sight' (as it was literally in touching distance), yet my eyes are not permanently fixed on it?

I am truly astonished they have declined it, police were on the scene immediately and although I did not properly see the thief, they helped with the search as did others in the area. I have a police report (in Spanish), crime ref number and all the other documents they require.

Do I have a case? I have read accounts of other people being declined unfairly on very similar grounds (numerous cases under Supercover which is interesting). In particular it seems people have trouble claiming Iphones. They have told me that if I want to take it further then write to the customer services director (not the ombudsman, interestingly).

Please help, any advice is very much appreciated!