Car Insurance Advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5059 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some advice or direction.

I telephoned my insurance company last Saturday to obtain an additional quote for a second car. I was asked the standard question about incidences over the past 5 years. Being unable to recall any that I thought were in the last five years to my surprise I was told there were three which were classed as at fault incidences:

1. One involved the replacement of a windscreen, which when the advisor was questioned further on, I realised and stated was well outside the 5 year time limit she was asking about.

2. The other two occured on the same day 14/07/05. Thinking back, I then recalled the only incident which I had reported to them on 14/07/05.

I pressed the advisor about the third erroneous incident and it appeared that this claim had been entered twice onto their system. The advisor then informed me that she needed to speak with the claims department as she was not able to continue with my quote.

The following Monday, having to chase the advisor I was then told that all three of the incidents had now been removed from their system (eventhough one fell within the five year time limit!). I told the advisor I was not happy about the whole situation and felt my premiums since 2005 had been effected by their mistake, I asked what they intended to do about compensation/reimbursement of my premiums, rudely I was told I had only been with them for a year but I then reminded her that I had taken a 9 month break and that I had infact been insured with them since beyond 2005. I was then basically told nothing, other than it could be resolved when I renew my existing policy due this July. I then had to demand an address to write a letter of complaint. The advisor knowing I was annoyed then proceeded in obtaining the details for the quote I had originally requested, I was then told they were unable to quote, no reason being given.

I am in the process of writing a complaint, as part of this, will I be able to request access to see any information they hold on me? I am concious that their advisor stated their claims department have now removed the erroneous detail. Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Loopy-loo

The claims on the record would have affected your premiums over the last 5 years, so the Insurers will have to calculate how much is due to you. There is no reason you have to wait until renewal. From the renewal date onwards it is a new contract period, so you can do as you please.

When you make your complaint, you can make a subject access request under data protection for all the paperwork, which would cost you a max of £10. But I don't think this is necessary at this stage. The Insurers should be able to provide you with an explanation including details, when they reply to your complaint. Don't worry about them removing the claims details. There will still be a historic record for each period of Insurance, against which they can see what affect the erroenous details had on the premiums.

Complaints under FSA don't have to be made in writing. The person you spoke to should have registered your complaint and passed it on to their Team Leader or complaints department. They would then have 48 hours to acknowledge and a timescale to resolve the complaint fully. After 8 weeks if they could not resolve, you could then go to the FOS. If you went to the FOS, it would cost your Insurers a £500 case fee and you nothing apart from your time/postage.

Before writing the letter, my advice would be to get on the phone and speak to the complaints department directly or a customer services Team Leader or Manager. They should be able to get a resolution, without you needing to jump through hoops. Perhaps they can also add the 2nd car cover and waive the additional cost for this up to renewal.

Edited by unclebulgaria67

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread