Help RE: Council Tax Summons please?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5023 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I have received a summons to court for unpaid council tax saying I have lost the right to instalments. I have been told I must pay the full amount(£658( plus £70 costs )for the summons.)

However I have had an ongoing problem with the council (see thread Council Delaying Tactics (not sure how to link threads!)) whereby they have delayed the assignment of my tenancy to my brother.

I cancelled my Direct Debit to the council as I had expected the assignment to take only 4 weeks (from 19th March) when it in fact took them until 4th June to sort out the paperwork (effective date of assignment to be 7th June).

I would imagine that, due to the fact I have now left the property, I am not liable to a whole years council tax.

Therefore do I turn up at court to challenge the liability order or do I challenge it prior to the court date of 17th June.

Also I have been paying council tax in another area as I had to take on the property I wanted to secure before the council had completed the assignment-although I haven't told them this as I didn't want to jeopardise the assignment to my brother. It is their incompetence in delaying matters that has led to the summons in the first place as if they'd sorted it sooner my brother would have been eligible for council tax benefit as I would have been able to officially vacate the council property!

Please advise ASAP!:|

Redletter

'I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires!'

Also if I argue can I expect to avoid the additional £70 costs???

Redletter

'I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires!'

If you are sure that you don't owe the council anything, then go but if you owe them a penny, you are liable to pay it and the summons will stand.

The judge can't take into account any reason it hasn't been paid, only do you owe or don't you.

Council will say that no matter what the circumstances, if any is due, even if an exemption was going through, you must pay and then claim back the overpayment.

If you do owe anything then there is no point in going.

When/if the liability order is granted, you will then be able to come to an agreement with the council to spread payments.

The £70 fee will stand unless the liability order is refused.

It's amazing, but I'm getting a few requests from friends of friends about this site (not certain why they don't sign up themselves, but hey ho! )

They called the council when they knew they were going to be unable to pay the full amount (they found work after months of unemployment) and were advised that the court summons was part of the normal process and installments could be agreed after that.

Now the DCA (Debt Collection Agency) stuff has started turning up and the council have not acknowledged letters sent and signed for.

A letter was taken in and delivered by hand on Tuesday, and a response was supposedly issued the same day and delivered by Royal Mail on Thursday. The problem is, the letter refers to 'your letter' and is not specific as to which one - i.e. no date reference.

Later that same Thursday a hand delivered 'Comic Strip' letter from the Councils DCA which has to be seen to be believed. It really is one of the most farsical documents ever issued by any 'professional', I put it half a notch up from the back of an envelope.

As I don't want to hijack this thread, I will post a new one, but councils generally seem to be staffed by those who were unable or unwilling to pursue their life ambition and take pleasure in not understanding the impact of their inaccuracies and sloppiness.

I also acknowledge that there are some truly brilliant members of Council Staff who are more than competent and excel in exemplary devoted public service.

Find something to enjoy every day.

[20190624]

• 2 weeks later...
I also acknowledge that there are some truly brilliant members of Council Staff who are more than competent and excel in exemplary devoted public service.

Is that sentence cowardice or crawling :)